• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

First the US, Then China, Now Saudi Arabia.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seems like S Arabia is the new go to league for players and this time not only players in their 30's but established ones too. I did read that the Saudi's are using sport as a way of making themselves wanting to be at the top table not only in sport but poitically too. Will this be a flash in the pan or with the serious money being invested be long term to grow their league?

Bridgy 81

Seems like S Arabia is the new go to league for players and this time not only players in their 30's but established ones too. I did read that the Saudi's are using sport as a way of making themselves wanting to be at the top table not only in sport but poitically too. Will this be a flash in the pan or with the serious money being invested be long term to grow their league?
Flash in the pan.

grecIAN Harris

They're all a bit like football's version of Sidmouth, a retirement home for the elderly.

Radio Free Skaro

They're all a bit like football's version of Sidmouth, a retirement home for the elderly.
And they have Sharia Law in Sidmouth as well.

grecIAN Harris

And they have Sharia Law in Sidmouth as well.
Nah, Zimmer Frame Law instead.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
And there's sand in Saudi.

Bridgy 81

I’ve read that there’s been a fairly thriving football scene in Saudi Arabia for awhile, so that, coupled with the enormous amount of available money they appear to have and are willing to spend, means I suppose we’ll have to wait a bit to see the longer term effect their recently increased involvement has on the game globally, if any.
However, I’ve also seen that the Public Investment Fund there has bought all four of the league’s main clubs.
I don’t imagine that’ll do much for the sporting integrity of the competition.

Antony Moxey

And as per the OP’s title, how’s that working out for them these days? Hardly a massive exodus from the big European leagues to these new money leagues in the arse end of the footballing world, same as when Russian clubs were doing the same a few years ago.

Money talks for the mercenaries, but for the TV giants and their audiences it isn’t happening so ultimately they’ll go back to being the Conference leagues that they always were.

Radio Free Skaro

And there's sand in Saudi.
There is sand in Sidmouth, its just very big grains.

iscalad

Steven Gerrard blags a job in Saudi.