• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
isca is duly reeled in 🤣

1702755329729.jpeg

DB9

I take it back, You are the other Alistair! 🙂

iscalad

isca is duly reeled in 🤣

View attachment 13999
You'd be disappointed if I wasn't. Here to help.

Oldsmobile-88

Disco on the BBC is on BBC2 this evening from 9pm...Gotta admit I thought it was all a bit meh at the time due to my musical preferences from the era with perhaps the exception of the the 12” version of Donna Summer singing I Feel Love. A classic Georgio Moroder production sound.

A few bangers already this evening to give the memory bank a stir....Yes sir, I can boogie..😎

Time can mellow taste & give a better appreciation.

Oldsmobile-88

On the programme it’s always interesting reading the banners on the bottom of the screen..Laura Branigan singing her signature tune Gloria with bits of info about her career on the screen, I did not know she had passed away in 2004 at the age of 52 🙁

Oldsmobile-88

I wonder if Studio 54(NYC) will get a mention later. That was the place to be seen whatever ones musical
genre..I remember The Clash could not wait to get in there on their 2nd US Tour, they loved it..

“So you’re on the floor of 54” as Topper sang on a track from Sandinista..

Spoonz Red E

Disco on the BBC is on BBC2 this evening from 9pm...Gotta admit I thought it was all a bit meh at the time due to my musical preferences from the era with perhaps the exception of the the 12” version of Donna Summer singing I Feel Love. A classic Georgio Moroder production sound.

A few bangers already this evening to give the memory bank a stir....Yes sir, I can boogie..😎

There were a few musical ghettos back then.
I remember making a London punk very angry when I told him I liked Led Zeppelin and Chic.

Birmingham and West Midlands was a pretty good mixed scene.
Heavy metal, prog, punk, reggae, soul, banghra, disco all jostling along nicely together.
You can hear cross influences in different Midlands bands of the time.
Duran Duran - disco, Dexys - soul etc.
Probably why there was never a properly defined Birmingham 'sound'.

Manchester bands did a good job of using disco feel in the funky Madchester sound.

Tim Long

I wonder if Studio 54(NYC) will get a mention later. That was the place to be seen whatever ones musical
genre..I remember The Clash could not wait to get in there on their 2nd US Tour, they loved it..

“So you’re on the floor of 54” as Topper sang on a track from Sandinista..
Didn't it also inspire Chic's Freak Out when the band were refused entry although their song was being played? Rodgers and Edwards wrote a song called '**** Off' but were told it could be a big hit with a more radio friendly title, after experiments with Freak Off they eventually decided on Freak Out.

Oldsmobile-88

Didn't it also inspire Chic's Freak Out when the band were refused entry although their song was being played? Rodgers and Edwards wrote a song called '**** Off' but were told it could be a big hit with a more radio friendly title, after experiments with Freak Off they eventually decided on Freak Out.
It did....It was probably easier to get into The White House at the time..

Stelios

Definitely. I got into Prefab Sprout a few years ago. I would have hated them in my teens/20s. I was more into rock/metal. Never loved indie bands growing up. ‘Steve McQueen’ is a great album

I still loathe opera though 🤮