• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
He definitely said in December that we were getting business done early. Didnt he??
Saying it and being able to achieve it two very different things and much easier said than done

kuznetsov

Is it luck, or did we have the good senses to negotiate that clause?

ECFC89

I thought it was statutory.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
It's not a clause we negotiated. It's a FIFA rule that if any player gets injured while playing for their national team then that federation has to cover their wages after the first 30 days of the injury.

As Boyo has said it was a poor deal as we got to the end of the window, missed out on our our targets and then went for Muskwe to be our only recognized #9 which I think we can all agree on hasn't worked out at all. As I have said, hindsight is a beautiful thing and no one could have predicted the injury etc, but this signing and the lack of any other forwards brought in has definitely cost us up to now.

That's why it is now so important that we get this window right, which is a tougher window than the summer!

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
hindsight is a beautiful thing and no one could have predicted the injury etc, but this signing and the lack of any other forwards brought in has definitely cost us up to now.
Agree with you on most of this stuff, and I can understand wanting to give people the benefit, but I really think it's excessively generous to talk about hindsight. I can't understand how at one point people thought we might actually not need anybody to play up front.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Saying it and being able to achieve it two very different things and much easier said than done
Don’t open your mouth and say it in the first place then.

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
THIS WINDOW IS SO BORING

Grecianman135

Can't wait for the panic on January 31st when all other targets fail and we bring Muskwe back into the fold... 😂🥴

Worries me how Gary stated the club backed him financial for Yanic's extension ...

Bridgy 81

It's not a clause we negotiated. It's a FIFA rule that if any player gets injured while playing for their national team then that federation has to cover their wages after the first 30 days of the injury.

As Boyo has said it was a poor deal as we got to the end of the window, missed out on our our targets and then went for Muskwe to be our only recognized #9 which I think we can all agree on hasn't worked out at all. As I have said, hindsight is a beautiful thing and no one could have predicted the injury etc, but this signing and the lack of any other forwards brought in has definitely cost us up to now.

That's why it is now so important that we get this window right, which is a tougher window than the summer!
I’m not referring to Admiral’s injury or Zimbabwe per se, but it makes me wonder whether some countries (without maybe a lot of financial resources) might be reluctant to select their best and highest paid players.
Some small countries could have perhaps one player in the Premier League who might be on hundreds of thousands of pounds per week.
I suppose there maybe some type of insurance available, but if those premiums are prohibitively expensive a longterm injury to a top flight player whilst on international duty could well bankrupt some national federations.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m not referring to Admiral’s injury or Zimbabwe per se, but it makes me wonder whether some countries (without maybe a lot of financial resources) might be reluctant to select their best and highest paid players.
Some small countries could have perhaps one player in the Premier League who might be on hundreds of thousands of pounds per week.
I suppose there maybe some type of insurance available, but if those premiums are prohibitively expensive a longterm injury to a top flight player whilst on international duty could well bankrupt some national federations.
I think the money comes from a FIFA fund under a Club Protection Programme.