• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

Stelios

September 1977 Exeter City 0 Portsmouth 1.
I went with my Mum, Dad and brother and we stood in the Cowshed.
We bought a dog from a pet shop in Sidwell Street after the game and named it after Portsmouth’s goalscorer,
Kemp.
I know, but I was very young and didn’t understand life then.
Four years later (hence the 81 in my Exeweb name) I returned under my own steam, started supporting the correct team and have never looked back.
I took an instant liking to Ray Pratt, so was honoured to meet and interview him for a Senior Reds’ meeting recently.
We never did change the dog’s name though.
Nice idea for another thread: have you ever named a pet after an Exeter player (or any sportsperson)?

robchave

It was sometime in late '67. I was at Exeter School and started going to the Saturday afternoon games with some guys from school. Egg and chips at Capell's café, knock around town until kick-off and then back to Newton Abbot on the 5.25pm (I think) from Exeter St David's. Couldn't make any mid-week games but used to ring the club immediately after the game to get the result!

Fred Binney was an absolute star.

Mid Devon Grecian

League Cup 2nd round 31/08/1977 City v Aston Villa.

Dad took me up, Wednesday night, still school holidays so presumably I was allowed to stay up late!

Don’t remember much about it other than we sat in old grandstand up the away end side.

Looking back at reports of the game, City lost 1-3 with Andy Gray scoring a hatrick for Villa and Lammie Robertson getting one off the bench for us.

First idol/hero for me at City was Steve ‘The Weave’ Neville, such a tricky clever player. Always knew when to draw a foul, won us countless free kicks in good areas and a number of pens. Great haircut too.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Neither does your say so.
Are really trying to tell me you think Sweenz is bordering on Legendary status?🤭🫨

Mid Devon Grecian

Are really trying to tell me you think Sweenz is bordering on Legendary status?🤭🫨
Sweenz fits into the ‘great club servant’ category IMO. Not a legend.

ryancooper327

Pretty sure it was this game in 02/03 as it was around my 12th birthday.

Ended up being away from things for sometime attending odd games for years. Then didn’t really miss a game from 15/16 season onwards, apart from a few this year!

Alistair20000

I'd always assumed you'd been around since the 60s/70s 😃

Sadly I am even older than those decades :(

grecIAN Harris

Sweenz fits into the ‘great club servant’ category IMO. Not a legend.
He joins a band of many quite rightly in that category.

Mid Devon Grecian

He joins a band of many quite rightly in that category.
Where do you put Flacky? He’s legend stays for me but divides opinion.

Antony Moxey

No, I’m saying you’re not the arbiter of who is. There‘s a few I’d include alongside Kellow, for me he doesn’t stand there alone.