• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 230 60.1%
  • Out

Votes: 153 39.9%

• Total voters

Average Joe

Tisdale at times played the most attractive football I've seen at the park.

Couldn't stay in league one though...

Attractive football isn't always the answer.

Sam Alladyce is the perfect example. Clubs call upon Sam when attractive football didn't work.

Get the job done, stay up and build over many years.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale at times played the most attractive football I've seen at the park.

Couldn't stay in league one though...

Attractive football isn't always the answer.

Sam Alladyce is the perfect example. Clubs call upon Sam when attractive football didn't work.

Get the job done, stay up and build over many years.
Joe, I'm really sorry but have you actually watched us play? The more of your comments I see the more I think you're a bot or a wind up account.

Average Joe

Joe, I'm really sorry but have you actually watched us play? The more of your comments I see the more I think you're a bot or a wind up account.
Yes I'm a season ticket holder and go to every single game.

I'm more then happy now, was very disappointed during out loosing spell.

I personally think it's refreshing to see those of us on here that had previously decided they wanted Caldwell out have given credit where credit is due, so to all of you that have, well done because not all would be able to admit they were wrong or concede that their opinion has been changed. I've tried to say that in the least condescending way possible, but no offence intended!

My 'faith' in the fact that things would improve and result in us comfortably staying up wasn't open ended and I'd set myself a clear line in the sand where I would have changed my opinion on his position - which, roughly, would have been if we'd been in within 5 points of the relegation places coming into April as I think it's imperative that if the club's wants to continue to try and develop, that we remain in League One and continue to show prospective players (in the Academy or that may be out of contract elsewhere) that the club's near future is in this division, with the desire to keep building, rather than having to 'go again' from League 2, with a new squad.

For me, the argument isn't personally about possession as I'm more of a fan of this approach than others but also don't actually see that as our problem. I'd watch a Tisdale/Caldwell style of play any day over Steve Evans or Sam Allardyce who's also been referenced, even if it resulted in less goals being scored. But that is just me and I can understand some criticisms that have been put forward.

I'd like to see us start with much more intensity in games, especially home games next season, which is something I do think can often require a pre-season to properly implement, given the increased physical demands and the work needed to be able to deliver that to the highest level. Far too many times I think SJP has been a nice play to come where teams can set up in a low block, let us have the ball for the first half hour, and then grow themselves into the game. I think back to games such as Wigan and Leyton Orient as two that stand out. When we do start with intensity, we often have the same amount of possession, but what's different hasn't been the amount of passes or direction, but ball speed or the quickness of player's movements, which in turn gets the crowd on side and puts teams under far more pressure - I point to Charlton and Fleetwood where we were massively on top in the first half and should have killed the game before half time.

I've said before on here so won't go over again and again in depth, but I don't think creating chances has been our biggest issue, rather the clinical nature of our finishing and this is also something that needs urgently addressing in the summer, not just through personnel (Eisa, Aitcheson, Cox and Alli have goals in them IMO) but also perhaps increasing the amount of finishing work done in training.

I think it's a big summer for Caldwell and the club as along with a heavy load of recruitment needed, I also expect to see developments in the style of play, in the above areas and also in certain aspects defensively - mainly in transition when we lose the ball and our defending of set pieces and against more direct styles of play.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Risk as in being unafraid of losing possession in order to open sides up, whether in your own half to draw opposition out or the final third to create good chances. That requires a confidence of winning the ball back as much as bravery on the ball. It's all part of risk v reward.

Of course successful football is made up from many metrics, possession being one of them. It's all about being effective with it. But it does show that if a side want to do well in terms of league success, they will value possession as a way of controlling a game more often than not in today's game. A side who favours being out of possession generally see themselves as underdogs which will happen to most teams at some point. It comes back to how you prefer or think City should set up in L1 and opinions will naturally differ.

Fergie's sides even back then always preferred to be in possession rather than out to dominate and control games no matter how gung ho they were, and Fergie was always a manager that moved with times. Gary Neville says now the game has moved on and Fergie would have moved with it.
Jeez Rosie, I know you admit to being a footy nerd but your players are going to need a bleedin masters degree to play. Isn't it supposed to be a simple game?

Exehausted

I said before Christmas when "Caldwell Out" was at it's height, that we had to give him the January transfer window and then six games after it closed, to see if he could turn it around. If not and we seemed doomed, bring in someone else so that they had time to assess the squad and prepare for the challenge of League two next season. Bringing in Woods and Purrington and Sonny coming back, has seen a massive improvement in our play and results. My big fear for the future was a huge drop in season ticket sales and the financial instability that brings. Hopefully a strong finish will see similar sales for next season as this season. Some will drop off of course, but hopefully other semi regulars will see the benefit of the savings that can be made and replace them. Strong performances in the final five matches will obviously help. Lets end the season in style and then look forward to next season!

JW57++

As near as dammit we now have the Brexit vote % figures for out and in
Don’t think the majority got that one right.

Grecian Max

I personally think it's refreshing to see those of us on here that had previously decided they wanted Caldwell out have given credit where credit is due, so to all of you that have, well done because not all would be able to admit they were wrong or concede that their opinion has been changed. I've tried to say that in the least condescending way possible, but no offence intended!
That's more like it (y)

Rosencrantz

Jeez Rosie, I know you admit to being a footy nerd but your players are going to need a bleedin masters degree to play. Isn't it supposed to be a simple game?
It is at park level, but ceased being a simple game when it turned pro Geoff, before any of us were born. Human nature is to develop and innovate as well as rehashing old ideas. The trick is to get the message across to the players in a simple way. That's where the great managers and coaches excel 😉

Spoonz Red E

I've enjoyed this thread.

Despite the spats between some of the 'in' camp and some in the 'out' there have been a lot of good reasons given for either choice.

My take back in November was
"a good holding result this season would be to get 10 points ahead of the bottom four and, at least, sustain that" and I'm glad that's been achieved..

But it wasn't a prediction as such - more of a quantifier.