• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale v Exeter City match day thread

Gotta Love Yanic shouting "Caldwell Out Caldwell Out" :ROFLMAO:

cannockred

Incredible team spirit throughout the team. Great to see!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gotta Love Yanic shouting "Caldwell Out Caldwell Out" :ROFLMAO:
I enjoyed him singing along to Robbie Williams when the teams were lining up on the pitch.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hope Yannick gets a run out v Oxford, apparently he wasn't all that popular there!

Bridgy 81

I’ve been doing some reading up on Port Vale.
Although the origin of our Grecians nickname is disputed they can go one further because there are several theories in relation to where their actual club name comes from.
The favourite seems to be that it’s after the valley of inland ports on the nearby Trent and Mersey Canal.
No, I’ve no idea what that means either.
Apparently though that makes them one of only two clubs from the 92 with a name that doesn’t relate specifically to an area where people live.
The other one being Arsenal.
Which I’m sure you all know was a former munitions factory in Woolwich, South London.
Presumably making the Gunners one of the first clubs to significantly relocate, in their case to North London in 1913.
Very educational is football!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Apparently though that makes them one of only two clubs from the 92 with a name that doesn’t relate specifically to an area where people live.
So does that mean there's an area of Merseyside called Tranmere? What about Forest Green?

cannockred

I’ve been doing some reading up on Port Vale.
Although the origin of our Grecians nickname is disputed they can go one further because there are several theories in relation to where their actual club name comes from.
The favourite seems to be that it’s after the valley of inland ports on the nearby Trent and Mersey Canal.
No, I’ve no idea what that means either.
Which I’m sure you all know was a former munitions factory in Woolwich, South London.
Presumably making the Gunners one of the first clubs to significantly relocate, in their case to North London in 1913.
Very educational is football!
Bridgy, Grimsby play in cleethorpes. No, I wouldnt want to be shouting Forza cleethorpes either

cannockred

So does that mean there's an area of Merseyside called Tranmere? What about Forest Green?
Apparently Forest Green is a part of Nailsworth and Tranmere is a suburb of Birkenhead. (c) Wikipedia

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think FGR played in Forest Green before they moved to the top of the hill.

Bridgy 81

Apparently Forest Green is a part of Nailsworth and Tranmere is a suburb of Birkenhead. (c) Wikipedia
I knew both of those facts but I thought I’d let him think he was right for a little longer.