• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I've finished university!

finetime

I would say that it's great if you want to go into analytics, consulting, project management etc and it will enhance your prospects.

Also, with unemployment set to rise 3 years of tax free grant and a relatively stress-free lifestyle isn't the worst decision in the world...

Hatch - what is your PhD?

flackyISmydadHONEST

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone know of any journalism jobs going..... :(

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am starting a PhD at 55 just for the sheer joy of doing something 'proper' and academic again after a long (and continuing) career in business. It isn't about anything other than the fun of it. . Certainly not something to do if you want an enhanced career path! Academics earn rubbish money, but have great pensions. I have always had the learning bug - If you enjoy it, do it. If not, don't. However, if it is for your career, don't mess about: it's Russell Group or nothing. If I get bored, I'll bail out with an MPhil and study something else in my spare time. I have studied 2 languages, anthropology, history and physics informally since I did my MSc. It is my relaxation.

I was going to do one in 1976, but the Science Research Council tugged my grant money at the last minute, so I had to go get a real job. Wasn't happy at the time but it turned out to be a real stroke of luck.

PS The worst degreee on God's earth is a bad MBA.
I'm now a Russell Group man. My undergraduate was at Durham, which isn't Russell Group, but is pretty much up there. In the Times rankings it is the highest ranked of all non-Russell universities and was one of only 2 non-Russell institutions to be in the top 20 of Research Fortnight's research assessment exercise power list. But my masters will be at UCL and my phd hopefully either at UCL or Royal Holloway.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
I've just polished off my Computer Science at UWE, not gotten my marks yet but thanks to previous modules can only really get a 2.2. No such issues with finding a job though, I'm already 4 weeks into a 12 week temp-to-perm at a software development company :)

A377 Lad

Doing my A Levels at the moment, If I get BBB I'm off to Bournemouth to do Sports Management, but that's pretty unlikely, so it's probably Leeds Met for me to do Sports Marketing where the entry levels are a lot lower.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Leeds is a better city than Bournemouth so you'll love it. Go there anyway.

A377 Lad

Leeds is a better city than Bournemouth so you'll love it. Go there anyway.
Yes, that's what i'd prefer and it will probably happen. Will a degree in Sports Marketing from Leeds Met really get me a decent job though?

Poultice

Wrong thread but here goes.

University budgets should be cut by 50%, there is no point Mr. or Miss very average going there to spend three years on the **** at the Taxpayers expense.

If you can't get 3As your education is over, now go get a job.

angelic upstart

Yes, that's what i'd prefer and it will probably happen. Will a degree in Sports Marketing from Leeds Met really get me a decent job though?
Will a degree in Sports management from Bournemouth get you a decent job?

Go to Leeds.

Bournemouth = retirement home where people go to die. No worthwhile sport but it has a beach

Leeds = Vibrant, young city. Full of sport (Rugby league, union, football and Cricket) and home of the Stone Roses bar. It has no beach though.

angelic upstart

University budgets should be cut by 50%, there is no point Mr. or Miss very average going there to spend three years on the **** at the Taxpayers expense.
I hope you realise it has to be paid back?

Besides, all the sh*t universities need the students their for the local economy or everyone would live in London and the rest of the country would be one, very large, ghost town.