• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Deadline Day 1 September 2022

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We'll be able to sign free agents after today. As to loans then I understand that other than emergency keeper loans no loans can be done with clubs in the EPL & EFL.

Cowshed Grecian

We'll be able to sign free agents after today. As to loans then I understand that other than emergency keeper loans no loans can be done with clubs in the EPL & EFL.
Good I’m not looking forward to Argyle away with 3 subs.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just listened to MT’s interview others have said same old same old but what are they really expecting. Perhaps MT is paying the price for being so open. I can’t recall PT having had to face the media on such a relentless basis and IMHO MT is looking tired and showing signs of becoming slightly fed up having to repeat the same for want of a better word story.

Personally I certainly do not envy him as rightly or wrongly if he is unable to make any new signings and the squad becomes further debilitated as a result of injuries and we struggle to survive it will be his job that is on the line…….if he reads this let’s show we are behind him and give him the moral support that he deserves and needs UTC.
I really hope that MT is not wasting his time and energy reading Exeweb!

Grecian Max

Can’t wait for Colin Daniel style free agent signing

tonykellowfan

Our model is clearly sustainable but the problem is we could end up with a squad that is not good enough. But as we have seen many times spending money doesn’t guarantee success.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our model is clearly sustainable but the problem is we could end up with a squad that is not good enough. But as we have seen many times spending money doesn’t guarantee success.
The rest of football is unsustainable. Just look at the losses sustained by Forest Green, before you even think about the Championship

denzel

The rest of football is unsustainable. Just look at the losses sustained by Forest Green, before you even think about the Championship
They might be unsustainable but they always survive

Reactions: DB9

Matt Phillips

I agree, but we can’t always rely on selling them. Imagine we thought Key would have netted us some money for this years budget, but we haven’t and as a result we’ve struggled in the market. So I personally don’t see it as a sustainable model.

It’s true and I don’t have the answers to what a good alternative would be. The negativity of the clubs statements about us this window have just started to make me question the long term. I’d love nothing more for it to work out as it is, I just can’t see it right now.

Anyways, I shouldn’t have brought up the model in the deadline day thread, Stansfield in yet?
Think this is nail on the head. From memory, the financial presented alongside the new training ground included a forecast for player sales in excess of £1m over this summer and next. Not having sold anyone has clearly had an impact on our ability to target signings outside of the loan system.

That being said, I don't think that the model is broken, even if we don't sell players. We've invested in the training ground, and once that's complete, it will be a cost we shouldn't need to repeat, freeing up budget. Our academy is thriving, and we seem competent at L1 level so far... I also think we're potentially clouded by what's going on down the road, as Plymouth's owners are (unfortunately) up there with the best in the Football League. We'd be much more likely to end up with an owner like Bury then we would one like Plymouth.

Colesman Ballz

They might be unsustainable but they always survive
If Dale's business goes belly-up in the looming recession, the Vegans will as well ! :p

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hold the back page = Winger Dan James having a medical at Fulham, could Jay be on his way ?
UTC