• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Please wish the Queen well. Long live the King

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Personally i don't think today is the day to discuss whether the Monarchy should or shouldn't be there, Today was about a funeral for the Monarch, You can have an opinion on being a Republic but that's for another day, I never knew her, I swore an allegiance to the crown in the past for my work, I took that seriously and still do, Just like when i signed the offical secrets act. She was a steadfast person for 7 decades and I'm sure the institution of the Monarchy will change and in time perhaps a majority of the UK will want to abolish it but that imo is a long way off, I know one thing that is the past 12 days or so the late Queen's passing has had a profund effect on people that any politician could only dream of.

geoffwp

The monarchy looks in rather better shape than some thought it might be following the passing of the Queen.

Early days of course.

Are we all Caroleans now ?
With respect Al, I would have to totally disagree. The coverage of course has been almost completely focused on the Queen and everyone I saw interviewed an avowed monarchist as far as she was concerned. That's the thing you see, I believe there is a big difference between a lot of people's love and respect for her and their thoughts about our medieval class orientated system . Now she has gone and her contribution fades with time and we are left with a squabbling family, with dodgy dealings and far to many being looked after quite handsomely by us mugs via the public purse, things may hopefully change. We need to drag ourselves away from all this ancient costume drama and constant patting ourselves on the back for our colonial past and get properly into the 21st C.

You're right though Dave. That's for tomorrow

Last edited:

tavyred

Monarchists are fully aware of the institution’s obvious weaknesses and yet prefer it to any other system anyway. Republicans are kidding themselves if they think this public show of grief is limited to just affection for ER2, the public will very quickly fall in behind Charlie Boy and be happy with him being King for the next relatively short 20 odd years.
As a spectacle today was an absolute triumph, full of iconic images that will live long in the memory. Charles is a good man and will reign with sensitivity and as already been discussed he will use his time to scale back on some of the Elizabethan excesses that still exist.
Immensely proud of my daughter, who as a Royal Marine Musician took part in today’s occasion, and I’m not ashamed to say I squeezed a tear or two out when we spotted her on TV at one point.
The Queen is dead.
Long live the King! 🇬🇧

Oldsmobile-88

What a wonderful experience today for your daughter Tavy..

DB9

Monarchists are fully aware of the institution’s obvious weaknesses and yet prefer it to any other system anyway. Republicans are kidding themselves if they think this public show of grief is limited to just affection for ER2, the public will very quickly fall in behind Charlie Boy and be happy with him being King for the next relatively short 20 odd years.
As a spectacle today was an absolute triumph, full of iconic images that will live long in the memory. Charles is a good man and will reign with sensitivity and as already been discussed he will use his time to scale back on some of the Elizabethan excesses that still exist.
Immensely proud of my daughter, who as a Royal Marine Musician took part in today’s occasion, and I’m not ashamed to say I squeezed a tear or two out when we spotted her on TV at one point.
The Queen is dead.
Long live the King! 🇬🇧
I said to Mrs DB9 That the parent's of those lads and lasses from the armed forces taking part must be proud as punch for their offspring and here you are Tavy saying just that, Well done to your daughter and everyone else. 👏

Last edited:

tavyred

What a wonderful experience today for your daughter Tavy..
Thanks Olds.
Its certainly not lost on her mate, today was a career defining moment for all the military personnel involved, not least the musicians tasked with providing the musical accompaniment to a solemn occasion. I’m biased but I thought they did the country proud.

tavyred

I said to Mrs DB9 That the parent's of those lads and lasses from the armed forces taking part must be proud as punch for their offspring and here you are Tavy saying just that, Well done to your daughter and everyone else. 👏
Thanks DB, very much appreciated. 👍

Reactions: DB9

Grecian68

Thanks Olds.
Its certainly not lost on her mate, today was a career defining moment for all the military personnel involved, not least the musicians tasked with providing the musical accompaniment to a solemn occasion. I’m biased but I thought they did the country proud.
Not biased at all, everyone involved today did the Queen and their Country proud.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The parents of those lads and lasses from the armed forces taking part must be proud as punch for their offspring
I'm sure they are. And a special mention for the coffin bearers. Well done lads.

Mr Jinx

Thanks Olds.
Hi Tav, did she have a part in playing any of the procession music from the Abbey to Wellington arch? I can't get it out of my head and find myself marching around and about to it (slowly). It still brings a lump to the throat. Memorable isn't the word.