• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently after defeat at Emirates Stadium Jurgen Klopp has asked for a PC & and good internet signal to apply for Grecian management job - he has always liked our tea ladies apparently !
UTC

Cowshed Grecian

I’ve been researching David Artell quite a bit today. Looks odds on favourite, I quite like the guy but I think he seems to be a bit of a control freak…I’d be happy with his appointment if we were 8th in L2 but I think we can do better, also I get the feeling he might tinker too much to put his own stamp in things which isn’t what we need. I’m leaning more and more towards Kevin Nicholson-knows the club and how we play there’s not alot we need to change right now.

Boyo

Matt Gill with Kevin Nicholson as assistant, is my guess.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Genuinely not understanding the big love for Matt Gill. OK, he's an ex-player, but why else is he being so lauded on here?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Genuinely not understanding the big love for Matt Gill. OK, he's an ex-player, but why else is he being so lauded on here?
100% win record at Ipswich...:D 1 match as caretaker.

ExmouthMart

Because it’s the done thing with every ex player, coach etc. They would all obviously drop everything in whatever they are doing now if they got the call from El Presidente for Life. There is obviously one exception to this and under no circumstances would that be welcome.

Boyo

I think it relates to the requirement to understand and buy into our unique model. Of all the ex players, Gill appears to be the one with the most coaching experience at a decent level. This is his bio on the Swansea website:

Matt Gill - Assistant Head Coach

Matt Gill joined Swansea City as the club's technical development coach in August 2021.

The 41-year-old enjoyed a 17-year playing career that saw him make over 450 league appearances across spells with Peterborough United, Notts County, Exeter City, Norwich City, Walsall, Bristol Rovers and Tranmere Rovers.

It was at Prenton Park that Gill would move into coaching, initially as assistant manager to Rob Edwards.

Following Edwards’ departure he returned to Norwich to work within the club’s academy set-up, having a spell in charge of the under-23s.

He joined their East Anglia rivals Ipswich in October 2018, taking up a position in Paul Lambert’s coaching staff.

He remained at Portman Road under Paul Cook, following a short stint as caretaker boss, before briefly joining former Norwich team-mate Martin at MK Dons ahead of their moves to Swansea.

He was promoted to the role of assistant head coach in June 2022.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
I think it relates to the requirement to understand and buy into our unique model. Of all the ex players, Gill appears to be the one with the most coaching experience at a decent level. This is his bio on the Swansea website:

Matt Gill - Assistant Head Coach

Matt Gill joined Swansea City as the club's technical development coach in August 2021.

The 41-year-old enjoyed a 17-year playing career that saw him make over 450 league appearances across spells with Peterborough United, Notts County, Exeter City, Norwich City, Walsall, Bristol Rovers and Tranmere Rovers.

It was at Prenton Park that Gill would move into coaching, initially as assistant manager to Rob Edwards.

Following Edwards’ departure he returned to Norwich to work within the club’s academy set-up, having a spell in charge of the under-23s.

He joined their East Anglia rivals Ipswich in October 2018, taking up a position in Paul Lambert’s coaching staff.

He remained at Portman Road under Paul Cook, following a short stint as caretaker boss, before briefly joining former Norwich team-mate Martin at MK Dons ahead of their moves to Swansea.

He was promoted to the role of assistant head coach in June 2022.
The perfect profile for us, I like the idea of a Nicholson/Gill team.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd have thought it would be sensible for any who is currently unemployed, who has applied, would be in the crowd on Saturday as I can well imagine that one of the interview questions could be - what is your analysis of our performance in last Saturday's game, in terms of what went well and what went less well?
What went well? We scored 2 more goals than the opposition
What went less well? Nothing.

Have I got the job?

C j phill

What went well? We scored 2 more goals than the opposition
What went less well? Nothing.

Have I got the job?
You've got a good chance...?.