• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City Oct 11th 7:45 ko Matchday thread.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
The first two goals shouldn’t have been conceded. For the second, Jake should have put the ball and their player into row Z rather than the tippy-tappy type of tackle that he tried to do. I know we like to play good football, and when these things come off they look great, but when the ball’s near our box and we’re under pressure, just f****** clear it.

JCWhoosh

I couldnt agree more. Blackman looks the part and all that, but I'm not sure we're getting the value for money we're undoubtedly paying for him. He was very poor with Charltons third, and he looked positively disinterested when the fourth floated past him. Unfortunately we dont have another Dawson, who hit the ground running and was a huge factor in our promotion. Blackman though is playing as though he's definitely not getting hurt, as he awaits a recall to the big time. He doesnt look much of a team player who communicates with the other defenders IMHO.
Dawson played in a promotion winning league 2 team with a decent defence with confidence. Blackman is playing in league 1 with a make shift defence against teams a lot more clinical in front of goal. He's already kept 5 clean sheets and looks decent at this level. Yes a couple of mistakes cost us points but give him a break!

Trapdoor

Really disappointing to concede 4 goals, particularly as only 1 of them was actually a decent effort. Despite that if we play like that every week I would be delighted. Some of the skill and quality we showed was worthy of the premiership. I cant remember the last time I saw any team at our level play with such technical ability. It was like watching Brazil at times.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think I've ever seen us play so well but lose so heavily.

As others have mentioned I think the trip to Barnsley and then trip to London a couple of days later was probably asking a lot and our small squad just couldn't cope with the load.

Really enjoyed the game and for the most part we looked a proper outfit.

UTC

Grecian Max

You believe that if you want. I can't wait till I hear who our new permanent manager is and personally hope it's someone new to the club with some different ideas.
Taul Pisdale

PeteUSA

Dawson played in a promotion winning league 2 team with a decent defence with confidence. Blackman is playing in league 1 with a make shift defence against teams a lot more clinical in front of goal. He's already kept 5 clean sheets and looks decent at this level. Yes a couple of mistakes cost us points but give him a break!
All good points, especially the league comparisons. It just really galled me to watch him virtually give up on the header for that fourth goal. If he'd stuck an arm up and jumped a bit instead of standing rooted appearing disgusted, he would have probably got a touch on that soft header. We do need him to play to his full potential if his parent club are ever going to want him back.

tonykellowfan

We are his parent club.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought Smith might have been given a run out, add a bit of "physicality" to our forward line. Stanno looked shagged out second half.
Smith was injured pre match hence why he wasn't used

andrew p long

don't know what they're complaining about stonewall pen
Stonewall indeed. The purpose of complaining is twofold. First run the clock down and take the momentum out of the game. Second to increase the pressure on the penalty taker - hoping the tension/delay gets to him.
Complaining is just a routine time wasting tactic nowadays, knowing that it won't be penalised.