• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Charlton Athletic Matchday Thread

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think booking a player for taking his shirt off is a nonsense frankly. As long as there is nothing provocative on the under layer what's the problem? The thing that scares me is when a player runs to the fans after a goal and gets mobbed. It encourages fans to go flying forward to the barrier and I'm surprised that no one seems to get hurt. Then at the end the players are clearly told not to get closer to the Big Bank than the edge of the penalty area. Bizarre!
Might have mentioned this before but originally refs were instructed to book players who take their shirts off after scoring because shirt sponsors were complaining. The optimum exposure for the advert on the shirt is the photo of the player celebrating a goal, arms in the air displaying the ad. Player takes his shirt off -advertiser loses out. So the massive companies paying megabucks for shirt sponsorship in the Champions League and Prem kicked off. All about the money.

Never understood how this translates to lower league football however and,as you say, it's nonsense.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice of Holden to publically appreciate the fruits of the labour that Chas puts in ! :)

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nice of Holden to publically appreciate the fruits of the labour that Chas puts in ! :)
Thanks God Transfer window closed .................... but hang on we've already lost over 4 non-playing staff this season !!

Spoonz Red E

I agree with the Fastard. If we just look at the games we’ve lost under Gary Caldwell, and ignore any games where we’ve won points, then extrapolate that across the whole season, we’d get relegated with no points at all and be the laughing stock of the country.

Caldwell out.
Agree with this.

I met a one legged man once which means every City player has more than the average number of feet.
We should be doing better.

Memphis09

Thought the same aboutAimson much prefer Diabate there

Memphis09

Unfortunately there were more negatives than positives today, and not just the result.

I'm not sure why Diabate was dropped for Aimson. Defensively, we went missing for Charltons goals. Far too easy for them.

Caprice had his worst game since GC came in. He's never been great in the tackle but today he was particularly poor and his final ball was carp.

White looked like a novice, Mitchell other than his goal was poor and kept losing it and died as the game went on, and I'm not sure if Scott had a touch?

Mcdonald looked decent and should start next game. Nombe was also very good.

Collins hasn't been himself for a while now and we just lacked some spark today. Second half I was expecting us to have a real go and pummel their goal but other than a save from Kites long shot at the end I don't recall their keeping making a save.

All in all a bit disappointing, we clearly missed Jevani, and defensively we opened up as easily as Mary Magdalene.
Good report agree with it all

Memphis09

Thoughts on yesterday for what is worth
Disappointed is the overriding factor
Blackman obviously injured and maybe should’ve done better with the second goal.
Sparkles didn’t track his man for the first even though the Charlton guy took it well.
I don’t think Aimson should’ve of started yesterday as the clean sheet at MK gave the back five another chance. Hence why thought Sweeney had one of his worst games for a long time. Caprice also didn’t know wether to cross or put the back when going forward and I thought had a poor game. Hartridge again thought was poor. Aimson first sight will be good back need to get an understanding with the rest.
Sparkles I agree with the person who said GC doesn’t rate him.Mitchell looked to have excellent pace and took his goal well early days .
Harper takes to long to get to the pace of the game.
Collins battled well a bit unlucky to get subbed but think that was a game plan.
I don’t know where to start with White. Possibly the worst performance I have seen by any City player for a very long time he cost possession he cost going forward and he couldn’t tackle.
Stansfield battled hard good effort near the end
Nombe worked his socks off but no real supply he was
definitely missing his mate
Kite and Macdonald worked well and great effort from and a great save also.
Scott looks a size but only had 10 minutes
Think GC did well in the early sub but kept White on far too long.
We really need to sort the shape of team because the crowds will drop off with games like yesterday.
The team is in transition but we really need to get to 50 points fast
Most of what you say is correct except about White you obviously haven’t watch MJ over the last 18 months if you think that was poor

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
And this is why the playoffs are just a distant dream at the moment, we are just too inconsistent.

Positives from the game
Two lovely goals -shame one of them was for the Addicks, and due to our poor defending
Referee was fair could have booked some of the ball kicking away and time wasting that was employed but we have seen worse
Kevin McDonald.

We move on

arthur

Given that our team contains Jamal, all this whingeing about pretty standard time wasting seems a bit rich. FWIW I thought the ref had a good game