• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager

haka

Me too. As I said before, I can't stand watching Man City, I find it slow and dull. I'd watch Luton over them anytime.
But Man City fans wouldn't, which is all that matters.

They've had plenty of exciting football in the past, in their yo-yo years. How many of them would prefer a swashbuckling relegation to their current success? None.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is summed up very well by Nick Hornby in Fever Pitch, the chapter titled "Clowns". Worth a read, because so much in football has changed since, but not this.

Manager gets results, almost everything else is forgiven. And that's about it.
What do expect from an Arsenal fan in the early eighties?

1:0 To The Arsenal!

haka

What do expect from an Arsenal fan in the early eighties?

1:0 To The Arsenal!
True, but he's actually quoting Alan Durban.

The old "1:0 to the Arsenal" delivered many trophies of course, the ECWC v Parma is the classic example.

We8Argyle

WE’VE GOT SUPER GARY CALDWELL!

haka

DNFTT

denzel

Bridgy - just watched the game to & listened to aftermatch discussion. Klopp admitted he won due to having a vibrant academy and not being afraid to use them - 8 ex academy players got medals today. Rednapp made the point that Inglethorpe has a lot to be thanked for in producing well rounded hard working men rather than just talent. So apart from using our academy I would add willingness to really listen to other backroom staff and use players in positions they have strengths in.
Finally it took me back to the good old days when we could see at least 5 x academy players in the match day squad at SJP - I really hope we can have a manager who has is sights firmly on that.
To be fair though, their academy is light years ahead of ours. It's not really a fair comparison.

Mid Devon Grecian

To be fair though, their academy is light years ahead of ours. It's not really a fair comparison.
That article from the Torygraph with Inglethorpe said they spend £13m a year on their academy and that’s apparently low in comparison to many other prem clubs.

Antony Moxey

Isn't it? Theirs is a Premier League academy turning out players that play Premier League football. Our League One academy should be turning out players that play League One football.

denzel

Isn't it? Theirs is a Premier League academy turning out players that play Premier League football. Our League One academy should be turning out players that play League One football.
We have been churning out league one players. People are expecting us to churn out Premier League ones like Ollie and Ethan.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bridgy - just watched the game to & listened to aftermatch discussion. Klopp admitted he won due to having a vibrant academy and not being afraid to use them - 8 ex academy players got medals today. Rednapp made the point that Inglethorpe has a lot to be thanked for in producing well rounded hard working men rather than just talent. So apart from using our academy I would add willingness to really listen to other backroom staff and use players in positions they have strengths in.
Finally it took me back to the good old days when we could see at least 5 x academy players in the match day squad at SJP - I really hope we can have a manager who has is sights firmly on that.
Tbh the ONLY concern I have regarding our manager is the lack of academy players being used.. saying that the further up the footballing pyramid you go the higher the level of player needed to succeed, making it more difficult to bring young academy players in.