• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fair enough, I didn’t see the Stevenage game so only going on the changed starting formation.

Cox and Eisa were on the pitch together for 10mins in the Fleetwood game. Eisa was replaced by Yanic ‘pea roller’ Wildschutt. I’m sure Fleetwood were scared witless at the change.

Appears Marcus has lost his magic touch with finding goal scorers.
We actually had Aimson and Purrington ready to come on when Fleetwood equalised. Yan was added to replace Eisa as he was down and knackered on the edge of their penalty area for the whole of the move to their goal. That was why there was criticism of the double defensive substitution (no one booed Cheick going off or Aimson coming on remember) because we went ahead with the subs despite being pegged back. It was probably still the right substitutions (Aimson and Purrington) as we were all over the place at the back and it went some way to shoring things up as we at least got back on a more even footing. It would very probably have been better though 10 minutes earlier when Sonny came on.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I admire people's patience and perseverance but every transfer window is if we get this and if we get that. We get this or that and nothing improves.
I don't disagree with this and have said on another thread that although I think we did some good business in January in my opinion we still failed to solve the biggest issue which was to get 1-2 forwards in that would really help us. The fact that Sonny is still having to start shows the issues that we still have. From what I heard we had a couple of club record bids in for some strikers (don't know names), but didn't get them over the line again which was disappointing.

Whether that is GC's fault, Marcus's or the board's I don't know, and I suspect it's a number of factors, but ultimately we didn't get done what we should have and I hope it doesn't cost us this season.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't disagree with this and have said on another thread that although I think we did some good business in January in my opinion we still failed to solve the biggest issue which was to get 1-2 forwards in that would really help us. The fact that Sonny is still having to start shows the issues that we still have. From what I heard we had a couple of club record bids in for some strikers (don't know names), but didn't get them over the line again which was disappointing.

Whether that is GC's fault, Marcus's or the board's I don't know, and I suspect it's a number of factors, but ultimately we didn't get done what we should have and I hope it doesn't cost us this season.
Can't keep blaming the 'factors'. If GC isn't happy with the hand he's been dealt then, like MT before him, he knows where the door is. Otherwise, he needs to do better.

Mid Devon Grecian

We actually had Aimson and Purrington ready to come on when Fleetwood equalised. Yan was added to replace Eisa as he was down and knackered on the edge of their penalty area for the whole of the move to their goal. That was why there was criticism of the double defensive substitution (no one booed Cheick going off or Aimson coming on remember) because we went ahead with the subs despite being pegged back. It was probably still the right substitutions (Aimson and Purrington) as we were all over the place at the back and it went some way to shoring things up as we at least got back on a more even footing. It would very probably have been better though 10 minutes earlier when Sonny came on.
January signings

Eisa, Woods & Alli not fit

Harris overhyped

Purrington, ok

Cummins one for the future

That was what we achieved with ‘unprecedented funds’

I said I’d hold fire on considering changing my GC out vote mid March. As things stand I’m underwhelmed.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
January signings

Eisa, Woods & Alli not fit

Harris overhyped

Purrington, ok

Cummins one for the future

That was what we achieved with ‘unprecedented funds’

I said I’d hold fire on considering changing my GC out vote mid March. As things stand I’m underwhelmed.
The unprecedented funds line was a recipe for disaster the minute it left his lips….

The signings have hardly set the world alight have they.

We need 3 attackers in the summer and 2 proper strikers.

tom_ecfc

The unprecedented funds line was a recipe for disaster the minute it left his lips….
That can be added to the ‘marquee signing‘ quote 😉

berniesworld

The signings have hardly set the world alight have they.

We need 3 attackers in the summer and 2 proper strikers.
And Cladwell is not the manager to do that!

Grecian Max

I feel like you have me as someone who is ultra supportive of Caldwell and is utterly under his spell - I've said it so many times in posts on here before but I am not completely convinced on him and for me the jury is still very much out. All I've wanted to do with my posts is highlight that sometimes people level strong criticism when I personally don't feel like it is always completely warranted. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to enjoy the things that I think give me cause for optimism - football is subjective.

Out of the majority of games that I've seen this season, there have been things I've seen that have given me confidence that if we could improve or tweak certain aspects, we could be a decent team in this league.

At no point have I tried to shield GC or the team from any criticism whatsoever. I'll list some of the things that are really frustrating me when watching us this season:
- Incredibly poor levels of finishing - not 'creating' but the actual quality of finishing - I agree we need to score more goals.
- Lack of ability to defend against teams that are direct and powerful - only seems to improve when Cheick plays (generally) - we get bullied so easily, but IMO this is a longer term issue - I think we've been bullied under GC, under Tis and under Matt at times.
- Lack of athleticism in the middle of the pitch - I like Carroll/Cole on the ball and tactically but I really feel like we need someone who can give us some more legs - Woods could be a short term option but haven't seen enough of him yet to make judgement.
- Feeling of a real lack of belief from the players if we go 1-0 down.
- How poorly we defend set pieces
- Often think we could press teams higher and get after them more out of possession at SJP.
- Lack of ability to kill games off.

I'm not wearing GC tinted glasses. There are multiple areas we need to improve. I'm not hiding away from that. For me, he has until the end of the season to finish where I would expect us to finish this season and demonstrate that he can improve us in some of the areas I'm looking at.

I have no affiliation to GC that supersedes my affiliation to the football club. City was here long before Caldwell and (I hope) will be here long after he eventually leaves. My affiliation to GC is that he is our current manager and IMO think he could be a good manager for us. That's it. People may disagree on the idea that he could be a good manager for us and that is fine.

What I've always tried to do, is just highlight areas where I think people have been slightly unfair, with my reasons why I think they've been unfair. That is all.
Decent post this and a bit more clairty

I agree with a lot of what you say really, I only differ in the chance creation. Whilst stats might not have us down for the worst for that we really struggle in that box between the corner of the penalty areaand the touchline.

I think the chance creation stats are distorted by our away performances, it’s been a dire watch at home this year and it never seems to be addressed.

When he got rid of Sparkes and added more pace down the flank, I really did expect to see some buccaneering wing play. Instead they look over coached and rarely take risks. I get he wants possession football but you need to allow players to express themselves.

I think this why natural goal scorers like Harris and Eisa are underperforming. There’s just not enough movement and energy around the box and inevitable results of that is probably the lowest scoring City side I think I’ve witnessed. Even when we were crap in the mid to late 90s there were moments of drama.

I’m very frustrated with how this year has gone and just hope the icing on the cake isn’t relegation. The board seem to have starry eyes with GC which also concerns me.

Mid Devon Grecian

And Cladwell is not the manager to do that!
Wonder how many more windows he’ll need to ‘perfect’ his system?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The likelihood of us finishing 13th is vanishingly small. Scoring goals particularly at home is paramount, I can’t believe the number of people that show up to home games. I can hardly bear to watch the BBC web site And use Exeternil as my main password.
I don't think we'll finish 13th or go down, but neither outcome is hugely unlikely. My point is that subjectively (to me at least) it's been largely terrible this season, but if we finish reasonably well, you could make the case that the seasons been a rare high point. I think that's why people are so divided... Different perspectives see the season as terrible or close to resounding success.