• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'Cans for City' - revived

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’ll play upfront for us at Reading on New Year’s Day for £500.
I'll give you £1k if you don't. 😘

Andy_H

A slightly lower kg count than i predicted but still enough to bring in a decent return and, allow Cans4City to be able to make a donation towards the toys for Bramble ward at RD&E.

Andy_H

Our next Cans collection is booked for Friday 12th January, as such the last call for cans to add to that collction is Tuesday 9th Janaury.

A few months ago we were asked by the owners of the land the OTR Coop is situated on, to remove our collecting cage which we graciously did. Recently we have been 'reminded' that fans are still leaving bags of cans on the site. I accept that the Coop do not help the situation by leaving a cage in the same position as ours was but, please, please, please if you, or anybody you know, leaves bags of cans there please just walk that 150 mtrs down the road to SJP and leave them there.
Also, please can i remind everybody that it is ONLY aluminium drinks cans that we take and NOT steel food tins. The odd 1 or 2 we can get away with but, if we constantly have them in what we 'assure' ECC is pure aluminium cans then, we could, recieve less for our efforts than we do at present. Having to sort throuh 2 or 3 bags of cans to remove 10 0r 20 steel food tins takes time and dtracts from other things. A rough rule of thumb to tell the difference is to use a fridge magnet, casting your mind back to year 7/1st form physics, if the object is attracted by the magnet it is STEEL and should go into your normal local council kerbside recycling, if not then it is ALUMINIUM and can come to Cans4City.

Thanks.
Andy

Andy_H

A collection and cash reciept update;
For the 2 month period 1st Jan - 29th Feb 2024 we've recycled 1080Kg of cans and raised £ 843.76.

The current 'return' on alluminium is £845 per ton, however this is up on the Dec & Jan rates which were considrably lower at £672 & £720 respectively.

The next planned collection is provisionally end of season, but........

So once again many thanks to all you 'drinkers' out there is Grecianland, but as always the usual request, only alluminium drinks cans please, no steel food tins, you can put those out with your curbside recycling.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought you may have been in today Andy, the can skip was empty 😁 I guess that one is a ‘ball breaker’ !

Hope you had a good vacation 😎

Andy_H

I thought you may have been in today Andy, the can skip was empty 😁 I guess that one is a ‘ball breaker’ !

Hope you had a good vacation 😎
Superb thanks but slightly awkward/inconvenient getting up to follow City at 0400 on a Sunday morning!
Thankfully ECC collected from SJP each week i was away, so today wasn't as onorus task as i had feared.

Pmc grecian

Great effort everybody

Alfie 1966

Yesterday waiting for 9 bus at P/R sowton me crawling in hedge after nearly a dozen ali drink cans 4 city sure one lady thought i was crackers.

Yesterday waiting for 9 bus at P/R sowton me crawling in hedge after nearly a dozen ali drink cans 4 city sure one lady thought i was crackers.
She probably thought you were looking for some which were partially still full

Phillip

Monday I walked back from Aldi on Alphington Road to the top of Okehampton Road and collected 19 cans for city without even trying. I'm sure I got several similar looks from passers by.