• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Shrewsbury Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Martin Weiler

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haven't seen the replay of the sending off... But 2 me .. A booking and a few minor incidents .looked like the shrews started the game with a sort of nasty physical intent..and then the red card tackle .. think what went b4 played a part in the refs decision to give a red...only my take and I could well be wrong on that.
Anyways Good overall performance and great result but didn't reach the levels we set at Barnsley. Downside to the game we lost momentum in the second half when we should have been absolutely crushing them... Though tbh semantics..as I said b4 great result and a v welcome 3 points, which should see us well on the way towards another season in div 1. A v large big up to Mr c and the lads

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haven't seen the replay of the sending off... But 2 me .. A booking and a few minor incidents .looked like the shrews started the game with a sort of nasty physical intent..and then the red card tackle .. think what went b4 played a part in the refs decision to give a red...only my take and I could well be wrong on that.
Anyways Good overall performance and great result but didn't reach the levels we set at Barnsley. Downside to the game we lost momentum in the second half when we should have been absolutely crushing them... Though tbh semantics..as I said b4 great result and a v welcome 3 points, which should see us well on the way towards another season in div 1. A v large big up to Mr c and the lads
From the you tube highlights it looks like a harsh red card but not as completely ridiculous as Aimson's against Charlton so I'd be surprised if it's over-turned; if you fly into a tackle with one foot off the ground you are asking for trouble.
As to the second half it is slightly concerning that we rarely seem to be able to play well for the whole 90 minutes but, on the other hand, you could argue that it's sensible to ease off and save ourselves for Saturday.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Woods is different gravy but does run like he's got a testicular torsion
Sweenz has a slightly different take on this:
It’s vital we pick up points from upcoming fixtures - Devon Live

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Excellent first half display and excellent result! Slightly sloppy and wasteful in the final third 2nd half, but saw out the game with ease which made it a great night.

Since Boxing Day we have now picked up 25 points from 17 games so close to 1.5 points per game which is good going for us in this league, especially with the Striker issues we have had all season.

One huge positive for me is that 8 out of the 10 outfield starters tonight are signed on for next season. That’s with us exercising the additional year for Jules which I’m sure we will.

Shows we have a good base to build from for next season unlike at the end of last season when we lost so many integral players.

Still some work to do to stay up, but the core of the team is starting to form which is promising for next year.

Two more wins ASAP would be nice so we can all enjoy the run in to the end of the season!!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
The lad is loving it. This interview should be used as recruitment material!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
One huge positive for me is that 8 out of the 10 outfield starters tonight are signed on for next season. That’s with us exercising the additional year for Jules which I’m sure we will.
Great point, although my only concern is that Reece and Sonny keep playing the way they are there are going to be bigger clubs showing an interest,

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great point, although my only concern is that Reece and Sonny keep playing the way they are there are going to be bigger clubs showing an interest,
That's why Cox's contract extension was so important. We can hold out for at least another year unless offered silly money.

Didn't Cole get an extension too?

haka

There are 3 teams with a worse goal difference than City. Score one more and it would have been 5. Or 7 teams worse off if we'd won 6-0.... #secondhalfslackers

Beat Burton 1-0 and they go below us on GD (actually, on goals scored).

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's why Cox's contract extension was so important. We can hold out for at least another year unless offered silly money.

Didn't Cole get an extension too?
Yes, they are both under contract so we will be compensated if they leave. It would just be nice to have one summer where we don't lose our best players and have to rebuild.