• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters
How can you say the board got lucky?

Firstly I believe the only reason GC is still in charge is because he made the board accountable for playing the first half of the season with only one striker. The board sold Nombe, there's no way GC wanted to sell Nombe so it would have been up to the board to find a replacement at such short notice, they didn't and GC had leverage to use as an excuse for the lack of goals.

Regardless what, how or why GC is in charge, it's still the correct decision. We've played some blinding football this year, beat some class teams and we look good in the league at this current time.

I personally think GC is the man for establishing ourselves as a confident league one team year in year out, and then maybe one day who knows

Imagine if by God's name we actually manage to get promoted, we'd be laughing stock in the championship. Wouldn't be good for our club at all.
The second paragraph could well be closer to the truth regarding Sam. As we were near the top when he was sold the board may well have asked GC if we could manage without him until January, at least. GC probably said ok, provided we don't get a series of injuries. The rest, as they say, is history.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
How could they have actively not sacked the manager, for all the people that now think we were right to keep him, but are still upset that the board were passive?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is not what happened. They didn’t just hope for the best and got lucky. What was the ‘lack of action’? Making 5 first team signings doesn’t sound like inaction to me. Hawker clearly said they backed the manager and believed he would turn it around, which he more or less has considering we’re around 6 points from safety with 8 games to go. But by all means don’t let reality ruin the narrative that the board and manager are useless and awful and terrible and everything is shit because Caldwell is our manager. What a silly little post
I don’t think the board are awful and terrible but I also don’t think they are god-like creatures with access to all seeing knowledge

There’s a middle ground here, and it does include a slice of luck. It has to in professional sport.

GrecianGrain

‘Silly little post’. Sorry Nick, didn’t realise you were on here. Please do tell what you’re planning for the close season and the next window - may as well let us know now to stop any ill informed speculation and further ‘silly little posts’. 🙄
Don’t be surprised that when you post an ill-informed/stupid post on an internet forum that people call you out for making said ill-informed/stupid post, especially when you’re supposed to be fan of our football club.

You certainly don’t have to agree with everything the club/manager does, but what you said was just absurd and not helpful. I’m tired of certain people ******** on the board/club because we went on a bad run of games, and implying that we’re a poorly run football club. Thought our better form might stop it but clearly not. You’re lucky to support a club that has the transparency, communication, and stability that we have.

So yes, to sum up, it very much was (in my humble opinion) a silly little post.

GrecianGrain

I don’t think the board are awful and terrible but I also don’t think they are god-like creatures with access to all seeing knowledge

There’s a middle ground here, and it does include a slice of luck. It has to in professional sport.
I don’t disagree with you Max.

geoffwp

You certainly don’t have to agree with everything the club/manager does, but what you said was just absurd and not helpful. I’m tired of certain people ******** on the board/club because we went on a bad run of games, and implying that we’re a poorly run football club.
Oh dear. How awful for you. Perhaps a football forum isn't the best place when you are a bit sensitive but remember there's always the ignore button.
Here to help.

Antony Moxey

Don’t be surprised that when you post an ill-informed/stupid post on an internet forum that people call you out for making said ill-informed/stupid post, especially when you’re supposed to be fan of our football club.

You certainly don’t have to agree with everything the club/manager does, but what you said was just absurd and not helpful. I’m tired of certain people ******** on the board/club because we went on a bad run of games, and implying that we’re a poorly run football club. Thought our better form might stop it but clearly not. You’re lucky to support a club that has the transparency, communication, and stability that we have.

So yes, to sum up, it very much was (in my humble opinion) a silly little post.
Sorry Nick, I’ll bow to your superior knowledge and be sure to consult you on what’s right and wrong next time I ill advisedly decide to make a silly little post *tugs forelock*.

fred binneys head

Luck, or good judgement coming from their knowledge of, and faith in, the ability of the manager from working with him close hand, and a strong Plan B in terms of January signings?

I’m happy to give the board lots of credit here and I’m certainly not in the “the board did nothing and got lucky” camp.

Grecian Max

Luck, or good judgement coming from their knowledge of, and faith in, the ability of the manager from working with him close hand, and a strong Plan B in terms of January signings?

I’m happy to give the board lots of credit here and I’m certainly not in the “the board did nothing and got lucky” camp.
“includes a slice of luck” is not the same as what you’ve just written

I also said this:
The board have been vindicated, or at least look likely to be
Another example of people reading what they want to read…

Last edited:

fred binneys head

Wow, sensitive much?