• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Burton Albion Matchday Thread

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure plenty has been said about the game.

Hard earned, but well deserved, win.

A big shout out to the lads up on the bank, and the drummer. You could see the players flagging, after all they'd put in on the pitch, and the last 15 minutes (especially the 8 added), you were immense. You really dragged them home. Well done.

Exehausted

I was really worried about Sweenz before he went down the first time. He seemed concussed to me and didn't really know what was going on. Perhaps as others have said it was illness, but what ever it was, I'm glad he has 13 days before the next match to get himself right.

ScottyRFC

Was looking at the fixtures to get an away game in but not looking great, quite fancied the Cheltenham away but I'm back up the road at Easter for Hibs at home then the old firm game at Ibrox vs the scum, I'm definitely up for away trips going into next season, preferably midweek fixtures.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tactically we got the second half spot on. It's so easy to go into a defensive shell and go deep and defend the area. That would have been completely wrong against Burton. They weren't a good footballing side, but they had a real threat from set pieces and generally just looking to get the ball into the box. We had to scramble quite a bit in the first half. Very contrasting styles today. By keeping two up front and staying comparatively high but compact we were able to limit their chances. The one of the bar came from out of nothing really and the only other chance was when they got through but Ilmari got back to him to put pressure on and force the shot wide. I thought we actually limited their set pieces better in the second half than the first.

The subs were correct in selection and timing, particularly Milli and Dion's introduction. I wouldn't be too concerned about Millie's fitness at this point. Just as there is a big step up in levels of fitness from L1 to Championship, there is a very big step from NL to L1. It's a different level of sharpness (both physically and mentally) and core strength. He did cause a lot of chaos in their back line along with Dion and made us look more likely to create chances than them. Importantly though they got us up the pitch. A good pre season will see a different Milli fitness wise.

Whilst Aimson was great again and Cole also, I think Ilmari and Luke deserve great credit for doing some serious hard yards for the team in the second half. Luke in particular had to sacrifice himself covering the left, keeping Jakey quiet and tucking into midfield. Ilmari's strength is his engine but he looks like he is hitting some form now as well. Constantly looking to run in behind defences and getting some end product.

We could have been three up early on. Luke and Sonny (twice) had good sights of goal. We went into a bit of a lull which I don't think Sweenz's struggle helped. The goal was a picture book Caldwell goal and almost carbon copy of Luke's early chance. Yan also got to the byline and played the ball across a few times and had Jakey in difficulty. We know that it wasn't often we saw Jake taken apart in that way as he was in the first half.

Seven points and some longer flashes of good performances in the last week. Add to that some real character and togetherness shown from the squad. We are almost at the point where we can glance upwards for the rest of the season.

HarryECFC

We are 1 place behind where we finished last season. If we go off and finish this season strong, we can beat last seasons standings which will show good progress.

grecIAN Harris

As things stand, 11th is a very realistic target to aim for. I think reaching Orient in 10th, even if you include us beating them, is going to be a bit of a stretch.

AndyR

A tense but vital win full of character and resilience with no little skill either. We really had to dig in for the last 15 mins in particular but we also caused them real problems at times in the second half with only 10 men.

Thought the substitutions were all spot on for the particular circumstances and whilst Cole was great, my MOTM was Aimson who was absolutely superb. Diabate also great when he came on. And despite his missed chance, Harris is turning into a really good midfielder - skilful, always puts a shift in and gets stuck in. I can see him and Stansfield being in Fulham's First Team Squad next season.

And the crowd played a big part, really appreciated the players' efforts. Well done everyone, time for a beer or four and a couple of weeks recovery....

Bridgy 81

Was looking at the fixtures to get an away game in but not looking great, quite fancied the Cheltenham away but I'm back up the road at Easter for Hibs at home then the old firm game at Ibrox vs the scum, I'm definitely up for away trips going into next season, preferably midweek fixtures.
I really like your (and your mates) enthusiasm in relation to following us, and long may it continue.
But I do feel the need to caution you that it can be a bit of a slog over a longer term period.
Also, if you’re based in Bridgwater to be working at Hinkley Point you’ll possibly be moving onto Suffolk in a few years time and will then be in Ipswich territory.
But, if you’re here for the duration, welcome, and I hope you’re all able to stick around.
It’ll be worth it, promise.

iscalad

Really enjoyed myself today and my m8 said the same, great to see a support that genuinely loves their club so much no matter where they are in a league and I mean no disrespect with that, ended up biting my nails for the last 5 minutes hoping Exeter would win, we will definitely be back and we are looking at following Exeter away where possible as well, as I said previously there is no team on this earth for me other than Glasgow Rangers but both of us will be back watching Exeter as our new English team and we will be bringing a few other boys with us, great day out.
I would suggest, that if you are wanting to support/follow Exeter for any length of time, you grow longer fingernails. 😉

ScottyRFC

I really like your (and your mates) enthusiasm in relation to following us, and long may it continue.
But I do feel the need to caution you that it can be a bit of a slog over a longer term period.
Also, if you’re based in Bridgwater to be working at Hinkley Point you’ll possibly be moving onto Suffolk in a few years time and will then be in Ipswich territory.
But, if you’re here for the duration, welcome, and I hope you’re all able to stick around.
It’ll be worth it, promise.
M8 I followed Rangers through the lowest division in Scotland back to a European final, I love being involved with the underdog, its what football is all about for me, if I choose Exeter as my team down here then that's it for me, I'm not a glory hunter when it comes to football and again i don't mean any disrespect with that.