• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters
And look how going with the 52% turned out! Democracy can be dangerous in the hands of the masses.
Democracy in the hands of the few is far more dangerous.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The players stayed onside throughout the poor run, as did the Board. Had GC lost either, he would have been fired. The means are there.

Tipping point for me would be if the dressing room is clearly lost, and the Board doesn’t act or is too slow to react. As a fan, of a fan owned club, focus (and accountability) should always be on the Board rather than a manager imo.
I think this was a big part as to why they held firm

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Similarly the bad run in the league this season coincided with terrible injury situation. The bench was full of kids and we were playing square pegs in round holes. I believed at the time that we were better off sticking with GC. The players appeared to be buying into what they were being asked to do, and I didn't see how sacking him would help.
I'm not so sure how severe the injury situation was myself. Here's the starting lineups from when the run began...

Screenshot_20240320_154034_EFL iFollow.jpgScreenshot_20240320_154054_EFL iFollow.jpgScreenshot_20240320_154118_EFL iFollow.jpgScreenshot_20240320_154223_EFL iFollow.jpgScreenshot_20240320_154201_EFL iFollow.jpgScreenshot_20240320_154243_EFL iFollow.jpgScreenshot_20240320_154349_EFL iFollow.jpg

Those starting XIs aren't 'weak'. I still maintain GC was guilty of not doing something different with the players at his disposal then.

Before his injury, the only time we looked vaguely dangerous was when Demetri Mitchell wathon the ball.

I liked Trevitt, but honestly I'm not sure we could afford to have him in our midfield. Positionally he was all over the shop when we were defending.

Scott and Muskwe. OK they had injuries too but what we saw of them they were not good enough. They were GC signings.

The injuries played a part and yes our options off the bench were weak but we still had enough good players on the pitch for most of those games, the gameplans were just plain wrong.

But fair play, we have finally turned the corner. Let's hope we don't have to have another run like this until the same lessons are learned.

Attachments

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not so sure how severe the injury situation was myself. Here's the starting lineups from when the run began...

View attachment 15033View attachment 15034View attachment 15035View attachment 15036View attachment 15037View attachment 15038View attachment 15039

Those starting XIs aren't 'weak'. I still maintain GC was guilty of not doing something different with the players at his disposal then.

Before his injury, the only time we looked vaguely dangerous was when Demetri Mitchell wathon the ball.

I liked Trevitt, but honestly I'm not sure we could afford to have him in our midfield. Positionally he was all over the shop when we were defending.

Scott and Muskwe. OK they had injuries too but what we saw of them they were not good enough. They were GC signings.

The injuries played a part and yes our options off the bench were weak but we still had enough good players on the pitch for most of those games, the gameplans were just plain wrong.

But fair play, we have finally turned the corner. Let's hope we don't have to have another run like this until the same lessons are learned.
Bang on.

Caldwell can’t escape criticism for that terrible (and it was awful, one of the worst in our history) just because it’s come together a bit more now

If anything it shows a strength to bounce back from failure

Boyo

View attachment 15033View attachment 15034View attachment 15035View attachment 15036View attachment 15037View attachment 15038View attachment 15039

It's interesting to look back. As you say the bench was weak, which suggests there were lots of injuries, which was well documented at the time. In pretty much every one of those teams there is a square peg, round hole situation, often with Jules playing wingback, Harper on the right or Kite out wide. Of course, playing Diabate up front was a sign of utter desperation!

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
A couple of square pegs in round holes,but Jules was played in that inverted wingback when we got a flying start to the season and he did what was asked for him at the time.Given half a chance, Caldwell would still play Kite at wingback.Agree about Harper,he was still finding his way in L1 and wasn't ready for the demands on his defensive capabilities then.

It's a managers job to work with what he has,especially on a restricted budget.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
And look how going with the 52% turned out! Democracy can be dangerous in the hands of the masses.
Democracy is a bit like capitalism. A terrible system but the alternatives are even worse.;)

Mid Devon Grecian

Plymouth will stay up, as the rest down the bottom are worse than them. Would like QPR or Birmingham fixtures next season!!!
The last ten games would suggest it’s far from settled

Attachments

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster

This is a cracking post and puts the 'injury crisis' into perspective.

sign of the chimes

Some interesting stuff on here about the relative strength of L1 this season compared to last.

There's been lots of chatter about it being a weaker league this season. I think it depends on what you're looking at.

The very top was definitely stronger. Ipswich the strongest side/squad I've seen at this level in the 6/7 seasons we've been in it. Wednesday had a Championship budget and players to match - didn't get 'the mix' quite right but still ended up with 96 points despite finishing third (96 wins it this year, you feel).

Aside from that, the rest of it feels much of a muchness - though maybe at the very bottom losing Morecambe and Accrington has upped the ante a little.

Next season the top end might get a bit more competitive depending on who comes up and down - but the rest of the league is likely to stay similarly competitive - i.e the ends of the bell curve might change profile a bit but the rest of it is likely to stay similar. In terms of the manager/head coach I guess it's then about whether they're competent enough to keep you out of trouble; followed by whether you think they're special enough to push you up towards the other end.