• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, I’m saying you’re not the arbiter of who is. There‘s a few I’d include alongside Kellow, for me he doesn’t stand there alone.
That should make an interesting debate..............

Well-known Exeweb poster
City v stoke. Mid week friendly.. 64? ish. The old man took me ... In the hope to see Stanley Mathews.. he didn't play...but the old man was a huge fan of George eastham though.. and the first ever player for me was Johnny mitten.. past his best but he had such a quality touch and turn

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeter City 1, Cambridge Utd 0. 1970

Tony Kellow

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone remember Karaoke Dave (I think) handing out balloons to the kids on the front barrier?
Karaoke Bob (Bob Stone, aka Graham Stone)
He released a club song around that time, between his Karaoke work around the pubs of Exeter.

York City at home April 1970. Fred Binney

haka

Tony Scott. But also Bob Wilson, I used to stand behind the goal in the away end (because at the time it wasn't, really). I can't remember if I ever had the courage to speak to him, even though he was a few feet away. He looked like a giant.

JW57++

Another fact learned.

I assumed your Exeweb user name meant you were born in 1957*

*Perhaps you were depending on how old you were for that first match.
I can assure you that I was not a newborn that year. I was born in the 1950s (just), but thought 57 would make me feel younger. Supporting City does age you.

JW57++

City v stoke. Mid week friendly.. 64? ish. The old man took me ... In the hope to see Stanley Mathews.. he didn't play...but the old man was a huge fan of George eastham though.. and the first ever player for me was Johnny mitten.. past his best but he had such a quality touch and turn
I saw Stanley Matthews a few times around about that time. His son was my cousin’s doubles partner in Junior Tennis and Stanley senior came down in the summer for a few years in the 60s when his son was in an annual tournament held in Budleigh Salterton.

Reactions: 007
Tranmere Rovers 1990 and Scott Hiley

Leads

First game was against Notts County in March 1998 (but was in the away end)! First proper home game was against Everton in the FA Cup, would have been 1999/2000 time?

First idol was James Coppinger. I wanted people to call me ‘Copps’ at (primary) school, it didn’t really take off… I’m now in my 30s and everyone pretty much is younger than me so I’m not sure I could idolise any of them really. I still get a bit excited if I see Harry Kite on Crediton high street, which actually happens quite frequently.