• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Charlton Athletic Matchday thread.

AndyR

Purrington was replaced by Aimson who was replaced by Diabate. Rankine replaced Wildschut who did not do any defending the entire time he was on the pitch
Aimson played the full 90 minutes. Purrington was replaced by Diabate who went into the middle of the defence, hence the gap on the left. None of Sweeney, Aimson or Diabate play there.

Here to be corrected if wrong:sneaky:

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Totally agree. However, I am unconvinced, without some incoming goalscorers in the closed season, that much will change. At the moment, I can't see one single natural consistent goalscorer in our forward line. Our dearth of goals (already mentioned) clearly indicates what we are missing.
That does come under the "sort out" and why I said it will be going into next season. Sonny is a natural goalscorer but obviously still has a lot of experience to catch up on to add that consistency as well as continuing to add to his game. As I said elsewhere, we either source a couple of consistent goalscorers up front, we certainly need a couple coming in regardless to add to Sonny and Milli. The more consistent goalscorers they are the better obviously to take on the bulk of scoring. Or players in other positions up their rate, whether that is new players or those already here to supplement a 12/15 goal striker. For example, I think there is more to come from Reece Cole in goalscoring terms and Aitch really should be looking at getting towards double figures. He gets in the positions to be looking at scoring more. Whether in the house already or to be recruited (it will be a bit of both) it needs to be sorted in order to kick on.

arthur

Aimson played the full 90 minutes. Purrington was replaced by Diabate who went into the middle of the defence, hence the gap on the left. None of Sweeney, Aimson or Diabate play there.

Here to be corrected if wrong:sneaky:
If Diabate went into the middle of the defence where did Sweeney and Aimson play - both to the right of Cheick?

Rosencrantz

Yes, which is why Rosie's stats are as they are. But today it seemed as if Charlton tackled more effectively than we did
Ground duels today 54%-46% in our favour 😉. To be fair, I think a lot of that would have been our back three and Ryan Woods.

AndyR

If Diabate went into the middle of the defence where did Sweeney and Aimson play - both to the right of Cheick?
Well IIRC Sweeney stuck to the right so assume Aimson or Cheick should have shifted more left but neither are suited to that side, and neither IMO is Rankine.

grecIAN Harris

Aimson went left with Diabate in the middle.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It felt like a pre season friendly-end of season mid table game.

does nobody kick anyone anymore?

Woods played well, but Wildschut was the best player on the pitch was sad to see him get taken off , he roasted their right back 2nd half….

Tom Carroll, neat and tidy but pass the ball forwards fella please.

Would of been daylight robbery if they had won it at the end….

Mo Eisa looked totally disinterested when he came on and the other new lad Ali looked very raw.

Alistair20000

I thought Ryan Woods deserved the MOTM award with Ben Purrington in close pursuit. Would have taken a point before the match so happy enough with the final result.

I thought we played less well after the substitutions whereas Charlton did better with theirs. Lapado was always a potential threat when he came on.

Pretty sure their “goal” just on half time was over the line and was greatly relieved that May the Cnut failed to win it for them at the end.

Was not overly impressed by Charlton today and it would not have been a fair reflection of the play had they nicked it.

For a long time I felt a tad sorry for their man who appeared to be called Twatson.…..until I noticed the full stop after the T. :)

Simba3011

Who still isn't making any sense. People like you have bemoaned the fact that we have been slow and ponderous in possession for ages and today you're suggesting we're sitting in and playing on the break. Those two notions aren't compatible. If you're going to sit in and play the break you generally have to play quick and direct football. You can't break on somebody if you're playing slow build up possession football.
And for what it's worth, we didn't sit in. We got turned around a lot by Charlton poorly play long angled balls which usually went out of play for a throw in so we've had to start again from deep.
Sitting in was probably the wrong phrase but when we're level or behind we play with a purpose to our possession but as soon we go ahead, we seem to go into a shell and play very safe. Controlling the game I understand but we never seem to capitalise on our lead when a team looks fragile or we have a good spell. Caldwell has bemoaned this all season but we're yet to see much change at home in terms of this.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Looked over the line from the angle i was at on the bank, swings and roundabouts.