• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

More changes to the FA Cup

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Apparently the National League are supporting the Premier League in scrapping replays despite so many of their clubs publicly criticising the change

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Apparently the National League are supporting the Premier League in scrapping replays despite so many of their clubs publicly criticising the change
Decidedly odd 🤷‍♂️

denzel

Decidedly odd 🤷‍♂️
It's being reported (OK it's the Daily Mail) that it is due to concerns over fixture congestion... but they are fine with replays in the qualifying rounds. So it's OK to replay against the Dog and Duck but not Manchester United.

Quite frankly I always thought replays were just a waste of time and just lead to Premiership teams playing an under-strength team in the first tie against lower league (us) opposition. i would much prefer City to play against a stronger 11 and test themselves properly with both teams playing out the tie to conclusion rather than both being content in the end for a draw. Better to see out the game and remember the spectacle of one game rather than the tie continuing beyond the first game to a second game. Celebrate a draw against a second 11...no thanks, celebrate a win against a better 11. I say this as a one club fan, not someone who says they love City yet spend all week bigging up their Premiership team and would rather their big TV club beats City in the end rather than get humbled by the one club they aren't big strong enough to say they only support.

Premiership W***kers

denzel

Quite frankly I always thought replays were just a waste of time and just lead to Premiership teams playing an under-strength team in the first tie against lower league (us) opposition. i would much prefer City to play against a stronger 11 and test themselves properly with both teams playing out the tie to conclusion rather than both being content in the end for a draw. Better to see out the game and remember the spectacle of one game rather than the tie continuing beyond the first game to a second game. Celebrate a draw against a second 11...no thanks, celebrate a win against a better 11. I say this as a one club fan, not someone who says they love City yet spend all week bigging up their Premiership team and would rather their big TV club beats City in the end rather than get humbled by the one club they aren't big strong enough to say they only support.

Premiership W***kers
Always? I take it you weren't around in 1981 then, or went to the replay against United in 2005

haka

There have only been 3 replays against Premier League opposition. Man Utd definitely had a stronger team for the replay, and Everton's in 1999 was pretty strong too.

Ferguson putting out a weaker side had nothing to with replay rules, only complacency.

InMyBlood

Get rid of the League Cup. Premier league clubs field weakened teams anyway.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Get rid of the League Cup. Premier league clubs field weakened teams anyway.
The league cup is worth a huge amount of the EFL TV deal. The premier league would need to compensate the EFL to quite a large degree for this.

I personally think the fair shot at this is, replay's to Round 3. This feels the fairest way to organise this.

denzel

Keep the FA Cup as it is, but I think that clubs in Europe should not enter the League Cup. And kick academies out of the Pizza Trophy

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Chairman of the National league also sits on the board at the FA. Just saying......

It would be nice to hear the opinions of the National League clubs themselves.