• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

10 games in.....

Grecianpasty

Sky's the limit as far as I'm concerned. MT has installed a strong ethic in the group, and on our day, we can compete with anyone in this league. We will have blips along the way, but after 10 games we've won 2 games 4-0. That's the sign of a team going places, even with a threadbare defense.

dontpassback

If you say so...
Pretty good,but hey ho,typing with sausage fingers 😂😂

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pretty good,but hey ho,typing with sausage fingers 😂😂
You are King Charles III and i claim my £5 :)

Bridgy 81

Like others I’m pleased with our position after 10 games and have been heartened by some scintillating performances and impressive results (Port Vale, Wycombe and MK at home and FGR away) which have been to a degree balanced out by some off days and disappointments (Cheltenham and Burton and home and Shrewsbury away).
Also like others I’m a bit perturbed that whilst we’re 10th in the table only 2 or the 10 teams we’ve played are currently above us.
The coming month, starting with Rovers next Saturday, is going to be a real test for us.
We’ve got absolutely no respite during that period with 7 league and 2 cup games to be played and a lot of travelling including trips to Barnsley, Charlton and Derby.
Obviously as some of those away fixtures show (plus one other I won’t mention) we’ll be up against some stiffer opposition too.
Despite how well we did yesterday it’s impossible for a squad that’s currently as threadbare as ours to compete successfully at this level over a sustained period.
Stating the obvious I know but returns from any combination of Cheick, Stubbs, Grounds, Dieng and/or Kite can’t come some enough to create more selection options or just to enable occasional rotation especially in defensive and midfield areas.
Anyway, we always knew they’d be challenges and I for one am relishing them.
Life’s been tough in recent times for some and continues to be for many people, but watching our team pitting their considerable efforts and talents against strong and skilful opponents at times in some impressive and historic stadiums is what following your team is all about I think.
One way or another this is going to be a memorable season and whatever happens I’m going to enjoy it.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Echo the thoughts of DB9 and Bridgy, it's been a good start to the season...HOWEVER... if we hadn't accumulated this many points I would be very concerned given the fact we are yet to really play any of the big boys.

With what is going to be an extremely difficult few weeks coming up, if we can come out of that with a cushion above the bottom 4 I'd be very happy.

Predict us to finish around 15th which I think would be a decent season.

tonykellowfan

I'm very pleased with what I have seen so far, I really thought we would be struggling badly for points, but I don't think we have played a single team in the 10 so far and thought "wow they are so much better".

Although we have signed Blackman on a 1 year deal and had to go for loans for the other 4 (Chalke, Harper, Smith and Stansfield) I think we have strengthend the squad when that was looking very unlikely at one point.

I also think that Stansfield may end up being the key player for us, as he can play alongside Nombe/Smith and allow Brown to play behind where Jay was last year. That gives us a very potent but also well balanced attack.

In defence we know our first 5 are good enough and in midfield as long as we can keep 2 of Harper, Collins, Kite and Dieng fit we should be ok.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Echo the thoughts of DB9 and Bridgy, it's been a good start to the season...HOWEVER... if we hadn't accumulated this many points I would be very concerned given the fact we are yet to really play any of the big boys.

With what is going to be an extremely difficult few weeks coming up, if we can come out of that with a cushion above the bottom 4 I'd be very happy.

Predict us to finish around 15th which I think would be a decent season.
But we have, No could of, Would of, Should of. We've played 10 got the points by either winning or drawing so there's no "However", Bit like saying we'd won those games we lost if....... but we didn't, Don't dwell, Move on and hope for the best.

Grecianpasty

I'm very pleased with what I have seen so far, I really thought we would be struggling badly for points, but I don't think we have played a single team in the 10 so far and thought "wow they are so much better".

Although we have signed Blackman on a 1 year deal and had to go for loans for the other 4 (Chalke, Harper, Smith and Stansfield) I think we have strengthend the squad when that was looking very unlikely at one point.

I also think that Stansfield may end up being the key player for us, as he can play alongside Nombe/Smith and allow Brown to play behind where Jay was last year. That gives us a very potent but also well balanced attack.

In defence we know our first 5 are good enough and in midfield as long as we can keep 2 of Harper, Collins, Kite and Dieng fit we should be ok.
You're point regarding Stansfield is a very good one, and one which I don't think anyone else has alluded to. Stansfield is versatile in his position, and his style of play suits the technical and physical abilities of our other players.

Cowshed Grecian

As people keep pointing out we haven’t played any of the big boys yet. I for one am really looking forward to taking on the Ipswich, Portsmouth, Derbys and Peterborough’s at home especially. If we can get our strongest team on the pitch none of them are going to be looking forward to playing us..Stanno, Jev and Sam up top is going to be a headache for any defence in L1.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As people keep pointing out we haven’t played any of the big boys yet. I for one am really looking forward to taking on the Ipswich, Portsmouth, Derbys and Peterborough’s at home especially. If we can get our strongest team on the pitch none of them are going to be looking forward to playing us..Stanno, Jev and Sam up top is going to be a headache for any defence in L1.
In a way it's kind of irrelevant that we've played none of the big teams yet. The main objective for this season is to stay up and we've seen enough so far to suggest that there should be 4 worse teams than us.