• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

10 games in.....

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the minimum objective is to stay up - as stated elsewhere on this thread - then a point a game from here should achieve that. The last few seasons have seen the bottom 4 score quite a lot fewer than 50 points that 1 ppg would bring you. The last team to get relegated with that are situated to the west of you.
This is my yardstick this season, maybe I'm underestimating us but if we have more points than games played I'm happy and that will equal survival.

Average Joe

All 4 of our wins so far and both draws have been against sides currently below us in the table.
To stay in the league we'd need a good start and then continue to beat the teams below. At a guess staying in league one is our objective and we're doing really well. Just hope the teams below us don't start gaining points on us. Having the big hitters all in a couple of months is a good thing and we'll learn from it. MT will adapt.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Happy with our team attitude again this season.
No panic - heads down and get on with it next game after a poorer than expected result.
A big month coming up in terms of seeing where we are relative to those teams doing well that we haven't played yet.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the minimum objective is to stay up - as stated elsewhere on this thread - then a point a game from here should achieve that. The last few seasons have seen the bottom 4 score quite a lot fewer than 50 points that 1 ppg would bring you. The last team to get relegated with that are situated to the west of you.
Yes. 50 points ought to be enough, but as you say the Cornish were relegated with 50 points a few years ago. I would be VERY unhappy if we joined them in that elite, but don't think that's likely.

IMO our target should be 1.5 points a game, which requires positivity and as few draws as possible - upper mid table comfort, and an outside chance of the playoffs if we get a bit of luck. Can't see it unless we get our injured back soon and stay lucky, though.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why this talk of relegation FFS.

We have seen that there are easily four teams worst than us in this league, okay we lost to two/three of them but then we have beaten better. We are also not the only club with a small squad that is suffering with injuries, the size of squads really just separate the haves and have nots in this division and it is how they are managed. I think on Saturday on Sky they picked up how versatile our squad is and how it has been compiled.

The worst teams will not over a season accumulate more points than us come the end of the season despite us gifting them points at the moment.

If anything we need to be thinking whether we could make the play offs, injuries allowing. What I have witnessed so far is that we perform poorly against the poor teams (except the Vegans) yet are inspired when facing a more open team, with this squad and a bit of fine tuning in January we could finish our highest ever

Reactions: Ash

Average Joe

We have seen that there are easily four teams worst than us in this league, okay we lost to two/three of them but then we have beaten better. We are also not the only club with a small squad that is suffering with injuries, the size of squads really just separate the haves and have nots in this division and it is how they are managed. I think on Saturday on Sky they picked up how versatile our squad is and how it has been compiled.

The worst teams will not over a season accumulate more points than us come the end of the season despite us gifting them points at the moment.

If anything we need to be thinking whether we could make the play offs, injuries allowing. What I have witnessed so far is that we perform poorly against the poor teams (except the Vegans) yet are inspired when facing a more open team, with this squad and a bit of fine tuning in January we could finish our highest ever
I don't think anyone is specifically saying we going to get relegated, but let's be honest it is a possibility considering our budget and the teams we are playing leading up to January. We're only 6 points off third and fourth from bottom.

I don't think we will get relegated but we could and I guess that's our objective, to keep our heads above water

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster

As AJ said no one is talking about being relegated, Probably a realism we are up against some big teams with decent wedge behind them and that we're in the lower tier of L1 budget wise, To be thinking of the play offs, Nah not a chance, I'm sure MT's thinking is more of consolidation and build from there, If the play offs happened great, I'll take them with both hands (Even if our record in them are poor) You don't get promoted/relegated/into the play offs in September, It's about accumulating as many points as possible and ATM we're doing really well and I'm dead proud of the players/manager, 10 games in and our position is healthy but our squad is a bit thin on the ground and injuries will impact on that as we're not in the position to just go out and add to them as the season progresses. As a fan it's great to have high expectations and totally normal but I'm sure MT knows how early it is and how things change quickly. If we keep doing well, We'll do well to keep hold of him because his stock would be pretty good and others will be looking at him, That is only natural. It is and always will be down to the club to match his ambitions if someone else came knocking. As for our prospects over the course of the season, Don't get too far ahead of ourselves and just enjoy whats been happening, We're alright we are because we're ECFC! 👍

sign of the chimes

Thought I'd have a look at what last season looked like at a similar stage. Weirdly five of the top six after 9/10 matches finished above the second dotted line - with only one missing out. The team finishing 6th had 83 points (7th ened up with 80). To be honest I think the top of the table last season was an outlier - and while I'd expect a relatively healthy tally will be needed to finish 6th I'd be very surprised if it was as many as as last term.

Two of the bottom four finished there. Wimbledon (14th after 10) went down - they went on a particularly horrible run; and Morecambe (11th), who virtually everyone thought would struggle, were only spared due to their good start early on.

1664393966177.png

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We're doing okay. Need to stop leaking late goals though.

Will we get a new manager bounce though?