• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

AGM Agenda

Or rather an AGM concerns matters of procedure when it comes to the overarching constitution of the Trust (e.g. Bondy's legitimate concern re: canvassing) - individual issues should be left for debate at regular meetings.

Incidentally, has the "no canvassing" rule only come in fairly recently? Only I remember a particular Exewebber a few years back getting busy with the fliers and stuff when up for election.
I don't know when the rule came in, but I understand it was adopted on the advice of Supporters Direct, who interestingly have wider rules regarding canvassing for their elections.

The Trust rule is that candidates mustn't canvass beyond their manifesto. I take the view this can be interpreted in various ways.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know when the rule came in, but I understand it was adopted on the advice of Supporters Direct, who interestingly have wider rules regarding canvassing for their elections.

The Trust rule is that candidates mustn't canvass beyond their manifesto. I take the view this can be interpreted in various ways.
Perhaps this will be ironed out on Saturday.

I'd like to see more canvassing done, and perhaps some hustings (as suggested by Bondy) - it's all well and good having a couple of paragraphs on a piece of paper but is this enough to really convey what the candidate will *do* for the Trust?

Perhaps this will be ironed out on Saturday.

I'd like to see more canvassing done, and perhaps some hustings (as suggested by Bondy) - it's all well and good having a couple of paragraphs on a piece of paper but is this enough to really convey what the candidate will *do* for the Trust?
I don't think the BoS have ever given consideration to the interpretation of the current rule, at least not until I raised it as an issue during my "campaign". What is clear is that underpinning the rule is the principle that candidates shouldn't incur expenses and that I certainly agree with. As for hustings, I would be very surprised if we didn't have them at the next election.

There are other issues, such as seeking a "block vote" through membership of a particular group- EDG's etc and whether you should be allowed to plaster your views and enter into a debate on Exeweb or Gnet.

Parklife

I like the idea of hustings, use of social media etc. Think there could still be some restrictions around incurring expenses (so that would probably rule out the printing of fliers) as that would ensure no-one is advantaged or disadvataged by their income.

Bondy

Exeter - views are my own and not representative o
I don't think the BoS have ever given consideration to the interpretation of the current rule, at least not until I raised it as an issue during my "campaign". What is clear is that underpinning the rule is the principle that candidates shouldn't incur expenses and that I certainly agree with. As for hustings, I would be very surprised if we didn't have them at the next election.

There are other issues, such as seeking a "block vote" through membership of a particular group- EDG's etc and whether you should be allowed to plaster your views and enter into a debate on Exeweb or Gnet.
The intertpretation of this was looked in to this year and I believe after taking advice from Supporters Direct it was decided to maintain the status quo until after the election at which point it would be debated. My agenda item is simple to give that debate the widest audience possible.

The intertpretation of this was looked in to this year and I believe after taking advice from Supporters Direct it was decided to maintain the status quo until after the election at which point it would be debated. My agenda item is simple to give that debate the widest audience possible.
I don't think it was the interpretation that was ever considered, rather the existence of the rule itself. I welcome your agenda item, although I'm not sure it is to let the widest audience debate the rules: it reads that the BoS are to review the rules on behalf of the Trust and report back.

Anyway, should I be elected on Saturday, and I'm certainly not counting any chickens, I would welcome the opportunity to work on a review of the rules. My initial view is that there should only be two rules: 1. No candidate shall incur any expense. 2. No candidate shall obtain the endorsement of any organisation. This would leave the BoS with a discretion to hold hustings which I believe most people are in favour of.

I will see you at the AGM and I wish you luck.