• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

Cowshed Grecian

Going OT but speaking of being mathematically safe, perhaps the greatest thing GC could do would be to field an entire matchday squad of Academy graduates. I think, given we regularly start with seven or eight, we wouldn’t be on the end of a proper tonking, and it might well be the first and only time a team in the top four divisions - if not the entire professional footballing world - fielded such a side.

Also, if we did manage to avoid a right pasting, I suspect it might be something that not only the sporting media but mainstream media too would be making a massive thing over.
Why would we do that? I don’t think that’s allowed is it? As It’s unfair on other teams who might be relying on results. Do we have Seven or eight regular starters I’m not sure we have?! Don’t you think every club would play their youth teams/young pros if this was allowed, when nothing was on the game.

Red Bill

Why would we do that? I don’t think that’s allowed is it? As It’s unfair on other teams who might be relying on results. Do we have Seven or eight regular starters I’m not sure we have?! Don’t you think every club would play their youth teams/young pros if this was allowed, when nothing was on the game.
But we wouldn't have to make too many changes. If we have 7 or 8 academy products who have featured regularly throughout the season i'm not sure there would be any rules against us brining in 3 or 4 who haven't featured. Let's face it the big (and not so big) teams do it all the time in cup matches.
Having said that though I agree it's not fair on other teams who've had to face a full strength team and morally I think it would be wrong to field a team of kids who'd never played in the league before. Bit like Scunthorpe against Bristol Rovers on the last day of last season.

Boyo

3-4-3 and we'd need Stanno.

--------------------Lee
------James --- Diabate --- Hartridge
Key---------Collins-----Kite----------Sparkes
-------Stanno --- Cox ----Iseguan

SimonBB

Why don’t we do it away at Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich where the team relying on us could be Argyle

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Reminds me of Scunthorpe away at Bristol Rovers last season.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
3-4-3 and we'd need Stanno.

--------------------Lee
------James --- Diabate --- Hartridge
Key---------Collins-----Kite----------Sparkes
-------Stanno --- Cox ----Iseguan
Well, 10 of those have played for us in the league to which you can add MJ for a full 11.

Antony Moxey

What do you mean 'why would we do that'? Did you not bother reading my post? Perhaps more to the point is why wouldn't we do that, and, given we regularly start seven or eight academy graduates with a couple more on the bench anyway, why wouldn't it be allowed? And who's saying we're not trying to win - we do with the majority of the team as academy graduates, so why not if it's all graduates. Besides, opposition? Fckem, who cares who's relying on results, that's their own faults they're in that position, not ours.

Antony Moxey

I think Crewe have already fielded an all academy side haven't they?
I did say the whole matchday squad, so subs as well.

budegrecian

Love the idea.

Bridgy 81

I like Alex Hartridge and I’m pleased we have him under contract until summer 2024 (and hopefully beyond).
I know he’s had a few instances in the last couple of games which have led to a goal against us and a red card for him but overall this season I think he’s been more than good enough.
Whenever I’ve seen him he appears to me to play with composure and a decent level of physicality.
Plus being left footed gives us good balance in the formation we generally set up at the back.
One thing I have noticed though is that he sometimes plays very slowly i.e. taking more time to pass the ball than perhaps necessary thus allowing himself to be closed down more than he needs to.
I appreciate the latter may be part of our newer tactic (as I understand it) of encouraging opponents to commit more before we release the ball but I’m not sure that suits everyone in our team, especially the central defenders.
My preference for the back three would be to concentrate on nullifying threats on our goal then playing the ball quickly and simply to a wingback or a midfielder to do the more attacking and creative stuff with the occasional longer ball forward down the line our up the middle if a striker is clearly free and in a good position.
I’m fine with Gary changing us to being a more possession based team (provided it’s possession with purpose) but I’d prefer our central three (including Alex) to be concentrated on their defensive responsibilities first and foremost and leave our quicker and nimble players further forward to implement the more complex tactical strategies, where less damage will be done if they don’t succeed.