• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are ECFC vulnerable to the trend of British Players moving to Europe

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
A 16 year old from Cambridge United has signed for AS Roma. They paid only £70K in compensation.

I wonder if we are vulnerable to this sort of hoovering up of talent?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
A 16 year old from Cambridge United has signed for AS Roma. They paid only £70K in compensation.

If they all have similar agents as this kid had, then probably.

Alistair20000

Is this a new phenomenon ? I don't recall any similar reported cases

Rosencrantz

Is this a new phenomenon ? I don't recall any similar reported cases
Probably more unusual for a player from a lower league club. Top level sides have of course been importing overseas sixteen year olds for ages, going back to Fabregas and Pique etc. There is an increasing amount of young UK talent going the other way.

I think what sticks out here is that the kid wasn't scouted, he was hawked around by his agent. I think someone said a similar thing happened with Ben Chrisene which got him a trial at Bayern Munich. For me, agents should not be involved at that age but I can see why parents would want advice. Then again, I don't really like the increasing role agents are playing these days and the money going out of the game.

Alistair20000

Probably more unusual for a player from a lower league club. Top level sides have of course been importing overseas sixteen year olds for ages, going back to Fabregas and Pique etc. There is an increasing amount of young UK talent going the other way.

I think what sticks out here is that the kid wasn't scouted, he was hawked around by his agent. I think someone said a similar thing happened with Ben Chrisene which got him a trial at Bayern Munich. For me, agents should not be involved at that age but I can see why parents would want advice. Then again, I don't really like the increasing role agents are playing these days and the money going out of the game.
Yes, my question should have made it clear that my focus was on the lower leagues.

As for agents they are here to stay, they are not going to go away and we will have to learn to live with them. :(

ryancooper327

A West Ham lad just signed for Porto or some Portuguese club. The rumours are that he’ll develop there before returning to Man City. Seemingly without compo/tribunal.

hardi2b

I wonder how many College "soccer" players over here are scouted by english clubs ?

denzel

A 16 year old who has barely kicked a ball with the same agent as Memphis Depay? What is happening in the World?