• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are Our Fans Too Polite?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feel I have to respond to the OP comments on the Port Vale game. The home fans were pretty much silent during the first half and only showed any signs of life when they perceived the ref was against them particularly when Bowman got away with something. It was us making all the noise. But you people listening to the radio or watching TV got a totally unreal perception of crowd noise because the microphones were obviously positioned near the home fans therefore picking up any feeble sounds made by them and not the noise made by us. The second half was a different story as Vale upped their game and the fans woke up in response.

There was not a huge City following, hardly surprising for a freezing Tuesday night in January, but those there did their bit. Perhaps you have forgotten the comments on here about inappropriate chanting at the game.

Our away support is to be admired and criticism from the TV audience is unfair.
I stand corrected about the noise at the Vale game, and I was asking for comments because I knew the microphones could have had a lot do with perceived noise my end. In that case I may be exaggerating the difference between our home fans and theirs. Fair comment and I am in no position to say otherwise.

However I certainly would never criticise our away support and wasn't doing at any point in the OP. I'm extremely proud of it.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair dos.

The atmosphere at games depends on how loud the away fans are - and,of course, the fare that the players serve up matters too - so maybe the mikes that pick up fan noise should be more thoughtfully positioned. The crowd interaction makes a real difference to the tv and radio product so it's in their interests to consider this.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I stand corrected about the noise at the Vale game, and I was asking for comments because I knew the microphones could have had a lot do with perceived noise my end. In that case I may be exaggerating the difference between our home fans and theirs. Fair comment and I am in no position to say otherwise.

However I certainly would never criticise our away support and wasn't doing at any point in the OP. I'm extremely proud of it.
To be fair, whenever I've heard the commentary on Radio Devon going home after the game (at SJP), the atmosphere sounds quite muted compared to what I have just experienced in the stadium.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
The clamping down on swearing in football does my head in. Fair enough the C-word is a bit much, but I cannot understand why some people are offended by the occasional "fuckin' hell, ref". Last time I looked, swearing isn't illegal.
Actually swearing is capable of constituting a public order act offence. It is all about context.

Legohead

Banned
Actually swearing is capable of constituting a public order act offence. It is all about context.
Absolutely. There is a reason why you wouldn't go into your kids parents evening with the teacher and start using expletives. It's because swearing is generally considered anti social and socially unacceptable in most scenarios. You'd look like a *****. I don't see why using expletives constantly at a football match should buck the trend tbh but there you go.

Andy_H

The clamping down on swearing in football does my head in. Fair enough the C-word is a bit much, but I cannot understand why some people are offended by the occasional "fuckin' hell, ref". Last time I looked, swearing isn't illegal.
With that attitude it's probably best that you didn't get elected to the Trust then.

IndoMike

So is farting in an elevator.

i8cornwall

With that attitude it's probably best that you didn't get elected to the Trust then.
Glorified popularity contest or who faces fits that isn’t it?

But that has nothing to do with this thread.

fred binneys head

I disagree, it would have livened the place up.

“Right, where’s this £ucking agenda?”

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The ref shouldn't be swayed by the crowd! I quite like that SJP isn't full of people harassing the officials every 5 seconds.

It takes guts to be gentle and kind :)
I seem to remember you're a Leeds fan. Is that right? If so, would you like the Elland Road crowd to be more polite, because they have always been some of the most fearsome fans to play in front of? I always think their fans add a point or two over the season at least by always keeping the pressure on the opposition players and ref.