• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Assistant Manager appointment

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think KN will get the gig. I think if Caldwell wanted to bring in his own man he'd have been here by now.
Caldwell KN and Scott Brown would strike a good balance.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe if Kev was appointed Assistant there would be more money in the bank for GC in January.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like the fact that GC has not come in and made too much change too quickly. He already stated he wants to bring his own coaching into the club, but this will be over a period to time, whilst he assesses what he has here now. This approach will be beneficial for the players too, as they will not have to deal with revolutionary change in a short period of time.

Grecian Max

I still don't think that'll happen, he's only been here for a week and a half, IMO he'll bring in his own man

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I still don't think that'll happen, he's only been here for a week and a half, IMO he'll bring in his own man
I agree - though it may take a few weeks or months.

geoffwp

I think KN will get the gig. I think if Caldwell wanted to bring in his own man he'd have been here by now.
I agree. They, Caldwell and KN, were constantly in deep conversation during the game. I guess it will be a case of getting to know before any decision made.

Colesman Ballz

In the wider scheme of things, I would argue that the position of first team assistant is less critical to our club's ethos, than the head of the Academy. On that basis I would prefer to see KN return to that post and a new 1st team assistant appointed.

Rosencrantz

In the wider scheme of things, I would argue that the position of first team assistant is less critical to our club's ethos, than the head of the Academy. On that basis I would prefer to see KN return to that post and a new 1st team assistant appointed.
I thought Aaron Pugh is the head of the academy? Kev was Head of Coaching and Player Development last season but replaced Chad Gribble as U18 Lead Coach in the summer after stepping in to take them at the end of last season. Brad-Lee Miller took Kev's old job and is now standing in for him by taking the u18's.

I think there will be an inevitable shuffling around of coaching in the first team and academy with probable internal (Ajose or McPhee for example to lead u18's) and external appointments.

Last edited:

andrew p long

So Kevin Nicholson not going back to being U18 coach then. Unsurprising, but it would be interesting to know what role he's taking instead......

Number13

However much people rave about loving being an Academy coach, everyone wants to work with the First Team and realistically, having had the experience / exposure KN has now had at that level, he was never going to go back to the U18s job. Probably quite rightly as you've got to do it with enthusiasm and if you see it as a step backwards............