• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barnsley Away - Saturday 8th October

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This will be a new ground for many of us. I'm looking forward to it. A long day though.

Just about doable by train on the day, though the ticket costs are huge!

Bridgy 81

This will be a new ground for many of us. I'm looking forward to it. A long day though.

Just about doable by train on the day, though the ticket costs are huge!
Accommodation already booked and I’m driving up there.
We’re staying for a few nights again at our “area base” for City games in or around West Yorkshire.
That’s in Bradford as prices there are cheaper than in Barnsley and all the other towns nearby which have Premier Inns as far as I could see.
As I say we’ve stayed there before. It’s right in Bradford city centre so plenty of places within walking distance to eat and drink, it’s comfortable and they have a secure car park which only costs you £10 for a week!!
Short drive from Bradford to Barnsley for the match and the days before and after visiting National Trust and English Heritage places.
City away, currys, pints and some culture thrown in. What’s not to like?

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
We’re staying for a few nights again at our “area base” for City games in or around West Yorkshire.
That’s in Bradford as prices there are cheaper than in Barnsley and all the other towns nearby which have Premier Inns as far as I could see.
As I say we’ve stayed there before. It’s right in Bradford city centre so plenty of places within walking distance to eat and drink, it’s comfortable and they have a secure car park which only costs you £10 for a week!!
Short drive from Bradford to Barnsley for the match and the days before and after visiting National Trust and English Heritage places.
A very underrated place Bradford. Some parts of it and surrounding areas are stunning. If I was still in the UK I would probably do the same as I’ve not seen City play at Barnsley (although did see Leicester play there once in the 90’s)

Martin Weiler

And if you plan to spend some time in Barnsley itself then I recommend the Museum in the Town Hall. It displays a good collection relating to Barnsley FC.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
There may or may not be engineering works out of London ☹

Bridgy 81

And if you plan to spend some time in Barnsley itself then I recommend the Museum in the Town Hall. It displays a good collection relating to Barnsley FC.
I like a good Town/City Hall. They’re often (but not always) one of the nicest buildings to see thanks I suppose to the Victorians!
There’s lots of nice ones in the various Yorkshire and Lancashire towns and cities.
I’ve done detours on recent travels to see them in Bolton, Preston and Lancaster.
I’ll try and factor in Barnsley’s (plus the museum) and I’ll look forward to seeing Bradford’s again.

Oldsmobile-88

Good shout with the Premier Inns...My preference if I stay over.
My favourite(in England) Hartlepool Marina.

Bridgy 81

We’re booked into a Derby city centre one too later in October too.
No prizes for guessing why!
Our favourite is Swansea Waterfront (Wales, I know).
We go there quite frequently, nothing to do with City though.
Although when we’re there next month I plan to go Swansea’s league match against Sheffield United if possible.

Grecian2K

I think mine was the one on Warwick Road one in Carlisle (handily located between Brunton Park - down the road - for pre-match plus the Toby Carvery and adjacent Tesco superstore for emergency post-victory essentials)

North of Hadrian's Wall, without doubt, the Lomondgate.

Anyhoo, back to topic. Been to Oakwell just the once...1975. 0-0 draw. Highly memorable! The only highlights were the (several!) pre-match pints of Barnsley Bitter and, much much later on the way home, being pulledfor doing a RECORDED ton in my trusty old three wheel Bond Bug!
(I actually got away with it because, as the motorway cop admitted, "If I told my mates you'd done this speed in that they'd laugh me out the station")

TOP_CITY_FAN

An away game in Yorkshire? Any excuse for a weekend in Sheffield. Will be staying Sheffield centre, and then same again for Derby at the end of October