• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

BBC Radio Devon

OxfordshireGrecian

I emailed Radio Devon as I wanted to be sure they were aware how poor Tuesday's commentary was, and received the following reply from Mark Grinnell which he asked to be shared.

Thank you for your comments about last night’s Exeter City V Morecambe match commentary on BBC Radio Devon.

I am writing one response to all four people who have messaged me, because you’ve all made the same points and in the spirit of openness I’m happy for you to share this with the other people who you say are discussing this.

While it’s not appropriate to comment on the performance of the team on air last night, you should know that we had to make a very late change to our booked commentary team and we’re grateful to Pete and Hannah for covering the match. I think the team did the best job they could in very difficult circumstances for the match, particularly given all the restrictions we’re working under at the moment. However, if the programme you heard fell below the standards you normally associate with BBC Radio Devon, then I’m very sorry.

I’m happy for you to come back to me direct if you have any further comments or feedback and I hope you’ll continue to listen to our sports coverage on Radio Devon, it’s something I feel is a very important part of our service to you.

Mark

Mark Grinnell

Editor

AndyR

Other than an auto-reply, I haven't yet received this or any other response to my email sent as mentioned on the other thread but then mine was to radio.devon@bbc rather than any named individual.

As to the Editor's reply, well at least he is now aware of many fans' views, but he doesn't offer anything meaningful other than to say come back with further feedback. The fact that some people switched to just the sound of noises in the ground available on the away commentary button, rather than listen to the hopeless drivel and laughing from the home commentary duo says it all really......

paperclip

I emailed Radio Devon as I wanted to be sure they were aware how poor Tuesday's commentary was, and received the following reply from Mark Grinnell which he asked to be shared.

Thank you for your comments about last night’s Exeter City V Morecambe match commentary on BBC Radio Devon.

I am writing one response to all four people who have messaged me, because you’ve all made the same points and in the spirit of openness I’m happy for you to share this with the other people who you say are discussing this.

While it’s not appropriate to comment on the performance of the team on air last night, you should know that we had to make a very late change to our booked commentary team and we’re grateful to Pete and Hannah for covering the match. I think the team did the best job they could in very difficult circumstances for the match, particularly given all the restrictions we’re working under at the moment. However, if the programme you heard fell below the standards you normally associate with BBC Radio Devon, then I’m very sorry.

I’m happy for you to come back to me direct if you have any further comments or feedback and I hope you’ll continue to listen to our sports coverage on Radio Devon, it’s something I feel is a very important part of our service to you.

Mark

Mark Grinnell

Editor
Hmmm, I'm not quite clear how COVID restrictions can be blamed for the commentators not getting the City players names right, they either know them or they don't, and Hannah claims to be an Exeter City fan (not sure about 'Pete' but I'm guessing he isn't).

At least they have apologised however, and perhaps RD might now think twice when allocating commentators to future matches. Not sure the bit in bold was strictly necessary however, it sounds like their Editor might not believe your claims that other fans share your views.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whoever is responsible for the production of Radio Devon’s football coverage need to take a good hard look at themselves.

More often than not they start with snatches of recorded commentary on previous games which have no connection with the game or team they are previewing. Then halfway through the preview they cut in with the Station’s inane opening (for want of a better word) jingle. There have also been numerous occasions when either at halftime or the end of the game when expecting a summary of City’s game instead we get treated to the one for the Argigle game.

Finally why when teams have their dedicated wavelengths for match coverage (Argigle are inevitably “County wide on DAB”) do they think it is necessary or that as City supporters we are remotely interested in breaking up the commentary by giving regular updates on their progress.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I go along with many of your sentiments there SB apart from one...

Radio without inane jingles?

The universe would collapse in on itself. ;)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Finally why when teams have their dedicated wavelengths for match coverage (Argigle are inevitably “County wide on DAB”) do they think it is necessary or that as City supporters we are remotely interested in breaking up the commentary by giving regular updates on their progress.
Having got a bit of grief for his ‘credit where credit’s due’ remark about the GAWS last week, Sexton’s clearly out to show he’s learnt from the error of his ways. 😏

Rosencrantz

Having got a bit of grief for his ‘credit where credit’s due’ remark about the GAWS last week, Sexton’s clearly out to show he’s learnt from the error of his ways. 😏
Pah, I'm still waiting for the character assassination of Gus Honeybun 😉

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gordon Sparks is covering our game on Saturday.

Apparently he fancies a short break.

Colesman Ballz

Gordon Sparks is covering our game on Saturday.

Apparently he fancies a short break.
Short break b@ll@cks ! For him that would be worse than serving a long stretch ! :p

PeteUSA

All I can say is the Morecambe game commentary team was as bad as any I've ever heard. A huge percentage of the 'chat' was nothing whatsoever to do with the match. I dont wish to be sexist; I've got two daughters of my own; but that young lady co-commentator wasn't very good previously, and she was no better on tuesday. She sounds a happy jolly young lady, but she certainly isn't cut out for football commentary work. If people purchased 'sound commentary' only for that game, or worse still listened to that at home, they would note there was very little reference to the game that was being covered.