• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Big Bank 'singing section'

Grecian1987

I posted on another thread a couple of ideas I had to improve the atmosphere at home games. The main one was to create a 'singing section' in the Big Bank, for everyone who likes to chant and have a bit of banter with away fans (despite them being about 15 miles away) to congregate.

There is the heart, which I believe was brought in by Alex Inglethorpe for this purpose, but it never really caught on. Is there any mileage in doing something else to mark a certain section of the stand? I'm interested in getting a few ideas together and putting them forward to the club who - if the ideas are feasible - I'm sure would get behind it.

So... any thoughts/ideas?

P.S. can this thread not descend into slagging off each other, moaning about the support or blaming the players for not geeing us up enough? Constructive ideas only please.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I posted on another thread a couple of ideas I had to improve the atmosphere at home games. The main one was to create a 'singing section' in the Big Bank, for everyone who likes to chant and have a bit of banter with away fans (despite them being about 15 miles away) to congregate.

There is the heart, which I believe was brought in by Alex Inglethorpe for this purpose, but it never really caught on. Is there any mileage in doing something else to mark a certain section of the stand? I'm interested in getting a few ideas together and putting them forward to the club who - if the ideas are feasible - I'm sure would get behind it.

So... any thoughts/ideas?

P.S. can this thread not descend into slagging off each other, moaning about the support or blaming the players for not geeing us up enough? Constructive ideas only please.
Good thread.

Why not move the home fans closer to the away fans, perhaps a terraced section in the Doble? We could call it, I dunno, perhaps the 'Cowshed'...?;)

At the end of the day, moving the singers from the middle to the end of the pitch pretty much killed off the atmosphere at SJP and only by changing this will we get it back

mammooman

Move the kids in trackies at the back who seem more intent on slagging each other off than actually attempting to create an atmosphere.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Move the kids in trackies at the back who seem more intent on slagging each other off than actually attempting to create an atmosphere.
:D I must admit City have always lacked 'older singers' at home games. Most clubs have in their atmosphere area, a mixture of kids wanting to be naughty boys, singers, older singers, genuine naughty boys and people that join in with a decent (often funny, witty and made up on the spot for one game only) songs.

At City, we seem to have the kids wanting to be naughty boys, singers and and people that join in with a decent (often funny, witty and made up on the spot for one game only) songs. This is where we lack bite.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Also noticeably at away games the spark just isn't there, and we are (possibly through always being in seats and often "allocated") reduced to the usual 3 or 4 chants. Oh for another Crawley...!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It is a valid point though. My trips "home" are admittedly rare, but I couldn't fail to notice the last couple of times I was stood on the Big Bank the atmos was dented by people singing their own 1 or 2 boring songs, then pointedly not joining in with others.

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's getting worse and worse every home game.

I think a lot of people find them boring.

Grecian1987

It's getting worse and worse every home game.

I think a lot of people find them boring.
So.....what can we do to fix it?

mammooman

I fear that wherever a singing area is created the horde of kids will just move to the new area. We stand just to the side of 'the heart' and our attempts to start a chant end up with the kids singing it at 1000mph faster than normal (cider, cider) or just getting a 'wheyyyy, on your own'.

What's the point in even trying to create an atmosphere when the very kids who often ask for it are the ones unwilling to learn anything new or join in with a chant by anyone over the age of 12.

SimonBB

We would of got away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky kids.