• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Blackman head injury/Argyle

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do we know if he was concussed? Looked like he was knocked out last night. Hard to decipher the FA guidelines but seems to be set in stages to test for recovery - with each stage being 24hrs minimum.

Taking this into account does that mean he will be out against Argyle?

iscalad

Do we know if he was concussed? Looked like he was knocked out last night. Hard to decipher the FA guidelines but seems to be set in stages to test for recovery - with each stage being 24hrs minimum.

Taking this into account does that mean he will be out against Argyle?
For some reason I seem to think the protocol lasts for 5 days. So barring any complications he should be fine.

wiveygrecian

Seen him and the lads at Strensham services on the way home just now , he said he feels fine . Don’t think there will be a problem for next Mondays match

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
My understanding is that if there is any sign of concussion then it is a minimum of 6 or 7 days before Jamal will be allowed to play again. What I don't know is whether being knocked out is an automatic sign of concussion or if the fact he was awake quickly and says he feels fine means there was no actual concussion.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The guidelines can be found here:
FA Concussion Guidelines - If in doubt, sit them out (thefa.com)
The online resource doesn't appear to be working but the free-to-download digital document is.

Firstly, my reading is that these are guidelines only, although, given the potential downsides, you'd like to think the club will adhere to them.

In any case, the standard return-to-play pathway requires an initial rest period of 14 days [from midnight on the day of the incident] and, if all goes well, the player can return to action on Day 19.

However, the timeframe in an enhanced care setting [which I'm presuming to be professional clubs, with a medical team] allows the player to return. all being well, on Day Six which, by my reckoning is Sunday!

fred binneys head

Seen him and the lads at Strensham services on the way home just now , he said he feels fine . Don’t think there will be a problem for next Mondays match
Although that’s good news, how he was the next day and how he is today are more important than how he felt straight after the game. Fingers crossed we’ve got him on Monday.

grecianstew

Concussion is a broad spectrum, (it is possible to be “a bit concussed”)and as FBH alludes above, the consequences can sometimes take a few days to develop. However being “knocked out” ie temporarily unconscious is in itself concussion and makes you subject to the appropriate protocol

tonykellowfan

The trouble with all the concussion protocols in top level sport is that the main bloke behind all the “science” has been shown to be a crook and there will now be major rewriting of the protocols and a whole raft of lawsuits.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The trouble with all the concussion protocols in top level sport is that the main bloke behind all the “science” has been shown to be a crook and there will now be major rewriting of the protocols and a whole raft of lawsuits.
I'm not sure if he was a crook or just a plagiarist.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Concussion is a broad spectrum, (it is possible to be “a bit concussed”)and as FBH alludes above, the consequences can sometimes take a few days to develop. However being “knocked out” ie temporarily unconscious is in itself concussion and makes you subject to the appropriate protocol
It does. Although, as far as I can ascertain, the FA protocol for concussion relies on ’guidelines’, as opposed to rules.

Either way, providing Jamal has had no subsequent ill effects, according to the guidelines, he should be available to play as of this Sunday.

Should he experience any symptoms that could relate to the incident on Monday night at any point after midnight on Tuesday then a strict interpretation of the guidelines would suggest he shouldn’t be risked on Monday.