• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bolton Wanderers - Matchday Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sweeney out for at least a month from what Caldwell says.Its been a bad day.
Dieng into the defence then for a run of games. This could well improve things significantly and its certainly not going to make the situation worse

ChardGrecian

Sorry but need to start to ask questions about Caldwells abilities. Everytime Diabate plays that right of back three he struggles, Grounds is slow left sided and recently Tim slotted into right of back three.
Did anyone think his selection would work against a decent quick Bolton side.
Last season we had brilliant team spirit and togetherness that seems to be disappearing every game.

Grecian_Matt

I am not saying GC should be sacked, but how much time should he be given?
MT might have stated we will be in a relegation battle this season, but when he left we were flying high and very close to the play offs.
Had he not left then we would of been comfortable mid table and maybe even in the top half.

GC is going to take us into a relegation battle unless he improves things quickly and if we do get in one, I don't see how we would stay up.

We can give him January window, but he needs to sort the team out and get players to play his way - As clearly our players now can't.

C j phill

Hopefully we won't get drawn in to a relegation battle and similarly hopefully, Gary Caldwell gets the chance to remodel the squad with players whose skill set matches the way he wants to play.

What's become clear in my mind, through the course of watching five months of this season, is that a number of our squad, whilst being good league 2 players, are not good enough for League 1 (and I'm not talking about being play-off contenders, but simply a comfortable league 1 mid table team). I think that both the January and Summer transfer windows will be interesting.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry but need to start to ask questions about Caldwells abilities. Everytime Diabate plays that right of back three he struggles, Grounds is slow left sided and recently Tim slotted into right of back three.
Did anyone think his selection would work against a decent quick Bolton side.
Last season we had brilliant team spirit and togetherness that seems to be disappearing every game.
Don’t agree at all with your final sentence. The last two games we played really really well. In fact, the performance against Sheffield Wed was one of the best of the season.

That being said, it’s a results game and we need a win fast.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree to a certain extent however Taylor had pretty much the same and we looked far more comfortable at the back.
Shipping 4 goals against Charlton and Oxford in successive weeks you mean? Or losing 2 0 at home to Burton? Very much more comfortable indeed...

DJG.ECFC

Caldwell was an absolutely terrible appointment at probably the most important time possible for us to push on in league one. Really have to question the board as to why he was appointed given his track record or was he simply the cheap option?

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
this shouldn’t be as bad news as it is. Sums up a bad recruitment operation by Taylor over the summer in the defensive areas. This defence is bottom half L1 tops
It's bad news in any circumstances.

Bat Fastard

Shipping 4 goals against Charlton and Oxford in successive weeks you mean? Or losing 2 0 at home to Burton? Very much more comfortable indeed...
granted there were a few poor results, as was to be expected coming up a league. However watching the games now versus then is chalk and cheese, were making very poor errors throughout games. Today could have been six, as many have pointed out and i'd say by far our worst performance of the season.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dieng into the defence then for a run of games. This could well improve things significantly and its certainly not going to make the situation worse
I think it's the best we can do under the circumstances. He didn't seem phased at all having that job given to him.You could see the old confident Dieng from last season, even though in a strange situation.