• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bury fan in peace.

Buryied alive

Hi
I am a lifelong Bury fan here in peace. I just wondered if there is anyone on here who can help with some information about how you guys managed to get the council to take over your ground and then sell it you back? If that is the case. As is usual with many lower football league clubs, we find ourselves in the poo...……… again!

The usual plot - owner/chairman with no real money, borrowing big time and mortgaging the ground to high heaven. He went in December and his companies have just gone bust for £27M!

Another character has taken over, promising to sort everything out but it seems as though this guy could be a chancer with no real money, again with another agenda. All the usual crap is happening CCJ's, players and staff not getting paid. The players could be going on strike next week!! It has affected our results as we have lost our last three!

Any help regarding your marvellous recovery from the depths of despair would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance and good luck trying to get in the play offs!

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ha ha, quite the opposite. Our council bought it for a low price when we were in the **** and still own it. They have been quite good to us as landlords in recent years though, to be fair.

Others will be better placed than me to comment.

Buryied alive

Ha ha, quite the opposite. Our council bought it for a low price when we were in the **** and still own it. They have been quite good to us as landlords in recent years though, to be fair.

Others will be better placed than me to comment.
Thanks for your reply - I see, so the council still own it. To tell you the truth that wouldn't be such a bad thing for us. At least there wont be a supermarket or luxury flats on Gigg lane. Where do we find these characters?? At least your crooks got jail sentences!

Terryhall

There are definitely a few posters on here who can provide info on what was done back in the dark days. I only joined the supporters trust later once we had already cleared out the fraudsters.

Hope you get sorted out and good luck for the future other than games against the mighty ECFC ;-)

i8cornwall

I've no info that can help you just wish you luck.

I'm a Bolton Wanderers supporter as well as exeter (don't ask it's a long story), so know what your going thought currently.

dontpassback

When one of the chancers who got involved with ECFC,he had dabbled at Swansea city and we had a swans fan who informed us what to watch out for,it took time and relegation into non league for it all to come to a head.a lot of people worked very hard to save our club and the FA cup draw at old Trafford gave us a life line.our trust is not perfect but it works and has done so for 10 years(clap) it’s never good to see another club struggle and I hope you find a way out of it.the irony of it all is the premier league swimming in cash which doesn’t seem to filter anywhere near the proper leagues such as ours !

Oldsmobile-88

Exeter City were in dire financial straits in November 1994 & in administration.Their only asset was the freehold of St James Park,being a buyers market at the time the club were offered £650k(it had been valued at £3m only a few years before) by Beazer Homes.
The Council(ECC) compulsory purchased the ground in 1996,i assume for a similar amount,to protect the football club essentially & then became the landlord at SJP.

Exeter City Council have been very helpful,the football club did not pay anything like the market rent for the ground(a fifth of what Cambridge Utd pay for their ground to their local authority) This was especially helpful when a second financial meltdown happened in 2003 & the club nearly went under.

Recently ECC have sold a small portion of the ground for development on the provision that a new stand was build for the football club at NO cost to the club.

Buryied alive

Thanks for the replies and good luck today. Apparently our players still haven't been paid or any of the staff at the ground. So not so sure how we are going to get on today!

Tim Long

Thanks for the replies and good luck today. Apparently our players still haven't been paid or any of the staff at the ground. So not so sure how we are going to get on today!
You might want to come back on here with a virtual bucket collection; if Bury (or Bolton. Or Blackpool. Or Coventry) were to go bust or get kicked out of the League it might mean Argyle stay up !

Oldsmobile-88

Looking bleak for Bury,looks like the EFL have given the club 14 days notice of intention to terminate their membership of the EFL unless they gave certain financial guarantees by 5pm today(no word about that)
£1m owed to HMRC for starters & a load of football creditor debt which has to be paid in full..

Sad days at Gigg Lane.