• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge Utd FC v Exeter City FC Match Day Thread

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just seen the limited highlights. Terrible defending from Sparkes for the first. Two headers between the sticks...the sooner Stubbs is fully fit the better.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Always look on the bright side"

We could be Man Utd supporters. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster

Pity that we weren't playing against them rather than Cambridge, we might have scored seven for the second time in a week ! :cool:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
So did KMT fail to use the substitute options appropriately ?
I think so. Roasting hot, 35degrees some say, of course players were going to flag after an hour. Plenty of quality subs on the bench and, Grounds apart, of a good young age. MT should have used them, he got it wrong.

Won't hold it against him as I'm generally very happy with the job he's doing but today wasn't his finest hour.

grecIAN Harris

Just seen the goals. The first was reminiscent of Stubbsy's against Satanage in respect of the first cross, the Cambridge player was all over our defender like a rash and 99 times out of 100 you would expect a free kick to be given. Then it was just very poor, weak, lazy defending from Sparksey to let the cross come in. The second one we let them play to easily out on the touchline and then when it came Tim Dieng didn't have a clue where his man was, didn't get off the deck and the ball ends up in the back of the net.
Mind you, saying about weak defending, if we had conceded our goal I'd be ripping our defender to pieces for it. It wasn't exactly the strongest challenge by Sam and he went over like a sack $4it and gave the ball away.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Just seen the goals. The first was reminiscent of Stubbsy's against Satanage in respect of the first cross, the Cambridge player was all over our defender like a rash and 99 times out of 100 you would expect a free kick to be given. Then it was just very poor, weak, lazy defending from Sparksey to let the cross come in. The second one we let them play to easily out on the touchline and then when it came Tim Dieng didn't have a clue where his man was, didn't get off the deck and the ball ends up in the back of the net.
Mind you, saying about weak defending, if we had conceded our goal I'd be ripping our defender to pieces for it. It wasn't exactly the strongest challenge by Sam and he went over like a sack $4it and gave the ball away.
Agree with this. The first goal Sparkesy allows the cross to be delivered too easily, but Hartridge also just leaves Smith and should have picked him up.
2nd goal, like you say Tim has lost his midfield runner, but Sweens (like Sparkes for the first) must do more to stop the cross. At least slide to try and block the cross. Two really soft goals which recently we don't generally concede.

Not our best day, but we move on to a big one on Tuesday, which I would consider our first 'real' League One test against Wycombe. I think this game will really give us an indication of where we currently stand.

I have to say that I think our starting 11 seems like it will definitely be able to compete, but with the 5 subs rule I worry that our lack of depth, especially up top will hinder us at this moment in time. Interesting again that in both his club interview and Radio Devon interview post game you can sense that MT's frustrations are brewing with regard to how thin our squad is and the lack of signings so far. He seems to be really pushing for more help from the club which you can understand.

elginCity

The furthest Cambridge have had to travel this season is Oxford, about a hundred miles away, and their EFL cup game (at home) was a week before ours. The east of the country has endured high temperatures for a while now, and no doubt would have helped them cope better with the extreme heat today.

Our lads did brilliantly in my book, no wonder Archie was out on his feet by the end !

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster

Thing is, I remember us singing this ironically at away defeats in 1988 or so, well before Man U started singing it.

IrishSean

Hi all, just thought I'd post quickly from Cambridge -well Ireland- but I hope you know what I mean. Thought you were the best side we've faced so far in the league (MK Dons and Oxford so far) and I thought you'd have sent us packing if you'd gone in 0-2 at HT. Glad to see Jevani Brown playing as the player he is rather than could be...always liked him but it just didn't work out for him here. I'm useless at posting from Twitter but if you get a chance have a listen to Bonner's interview on: https://cambridgeunitedfc.proboards.com/

He's honest and complimentary and probably tells you things you already know.

Anyway safe journey back to all the Grecians who came up today and best wishes for the rest of the season.