• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge Utd FC v Exeter City FC Match Day Thread

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
glad Taylor said there will be changes for Wycombe . If players aren’t pulling there weight throw them it with the reserves for a reality check

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wasn't there, but surely we need to cut them some slack. It was a hot day and a long trip, just three days after getting back from Cheltenham. Remember that Cambridge had a day off in midweek, so no wonder if they finished the game stronger.
So we have four points from three games- how many did we have after three games last season?

Mr Jinx

I think so. Roasting hot, 35degrees some say, of course players were going to flag after an hour.
Same temperature for both teams was it not?

That's like saying it was too rainy.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
glad Taylor said there will be changes for Wycombe . If players aren’t pulling there weight throw them it with the reserves for a reality check
I can't imagine this group of players not pulling their weight.

fred binneys head

Thing is, I remember us singing this ironically at away defeats in 1988 or so, well before Man U started singing it.
We were, Simon Mayo read out on his Radio 1 show that Exeter City fans were singing that song at least two years before United fans started singing it.

Plus, we did it properly. We sang it to ourselves (like they did on the crosses in Life Of Brian) whereas United fans sang it to the opposition after they’d beaten them.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Just a gentle reminder that in the first three games of last season we had collected just half the points we have to date and had lost 3-0 to Leyton Orient.

Here to be positive.......

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Same temperature for both teams was it not?

That's like saying it was too rainy.
Safe to say you're missing the point.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just a gentle reminder that in the first three games of last season we had collected just half the points we have to date and had lost 3-0 to Leyton Orient.

Here to be positive.......
Not just lost but well beaten and yes plenty to be positive about.

No team has started the season looking as if they are going to walk away with it and at least 10 have already had the taste of being defeated.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with this. The first goal Sparkesy allows the cross to be delivered too easily, but Hartridge also just leaves Smith and should have picked him up.
2nd goal, like you say Tim has lost his midfield runner, but Sweens (like Sparkes for the first) must do more to stop the cross. At least slide to try and block the cross. Two really soft goals which recently we don't generally concede.

Not our best day, but we move on to a big one on Tuesday, which I would consider our first 'real' League One test against Wycombe. I think this game will really give us an indication of where we currently stand.

I have to say that I think our starting 11 seems like it will definitely be able to compete, but with the 5 subs rule I worry that our lack of depth, especially up top will hinder us at this moment in time. Interesting again that in both his club interview and Radio Devon interview post game you can sense that MT's frustrations are brewing with regard to how thin our squad is and the lack of signings so far. He seems to be really pushing for more help from the club which you can understand.
Yep...I know the club doesn't spend money it hasn't got..BUT it's taken us,,is it, 10 years and so much heartbreak, to get us bac into this league... Seasons can be defined by the first month ish , to let Taylor struggle for depth.. seems... Just bloody foolish..

Colesman Ballz

Yep...I know the club doesn't spend money it hasn't got..BUT it's taken us,,is it, 10 years and so much heartbreak, to get us bac into this league... Seasons can be defined by the first month ish , to let Taylor struggle for depth.. seems... Just bloody foolish..
Taylor has money at his disposal, he just can't find the players. He is being backed on many fronts, the pitch has been sorted, the Cat and Fiddle redevelopment is underway. It wouldn't be foolish to splash money we don't have on new signings, it would be bleddy suicidal, and could totally negate all the stability that we have striven to obtain.
Get a grip on yourself, we have lost just one game of football by the odd goal in three. And to be blunt, as others have said that was down to Taylor's poor use of substitutions in a ruddy heatwave !