• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Captain's Armbands

haka

The ultimate test for a spotter's gold badge ...

A good (detailed) article from the Guardian about the history of the armband. Niche, but there you go. :)

Used in Europe for decades, before it was common in the Football League

So who was the first ECFC captain to wear one? Did anyone notice? (No ... ).

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
There used to be a club captain & team captain at times.
I remember when John Hore was at the club & not playing during the ‘81 Cup run he was known as the Club Captain because of his seniority amongst the club.Was Phil Roberts the Team Captain during that fabulous run ?

haka

John Delve, according to Sportsnight's coverage of the Newcastle replay (any excuse to watch those goals again!).

grecIAN Harris

There used to be a club captain & team captain at times.
I remember when John Hore was at the club & not playing during the ‘81 Cup run he was known as the Club Captain because of his seniority amongst the club.Was Phil Roberts the Team Captain during that fabulous run ?
John Delve was Captain. Are you sure John Hore was still with the club then? I know it's not always the most reliable source but Wiki seems to suggest he left at the end of the previous season.

Oldsmobile-88

John Delve was Captain. Are you sure John Hore was still with the club then? I know it's not always the most reliable source but Wiki seems to suggest he left at the end of the previous season.
Yes,you are right.
I was getting my memories about John Hore & when he was at the club mixed up.
Just checked it on the Grecian Archive,which is pretty accurate.

I used to go to his Health Club in the High Street after he finished playing.A great gym that he owned/ran.

geoffwp

Fascinating article haka.👍