• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Catering stock control?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I tend to eat at lunchtime before leaving for the ground and then have tea when I get home. Other than a bag of sweets for the kids, I see no need whatsoever to eat overpriced and substandard football food.

It's bad enough drinking the tea..
I totally agree. I've said many times before, why is there this need to queue up and buy food irrespective of the quality, when you can have a square meal at home before leaving for the game, and then go home for your tea after the match in a proper manner? After just 45 minutes of football, why the sudden urge to go and pay to get something to eat, or buy a plastic container of tea thats on a par with gnats ****? I suppose it become tradition, part of the big day experience so to speak, because it appears most clubs do it. Bovril, balti pies, it must be a historical thing which I have to say I've never engaged in.

PeteUSA

That's complete and utter nonsense, on a par with your assessment of Jonah's goalkeeping skills.
I haven't mentioned Jonah's "goalkeeping skills" once following saturdays game, but from the various other threads, it seems plenty of others did.

Jason

It does seem shambolic after the very promising start to new Pride of Devon catering last season. There seemed to be a far greater range back then...

I went to get a pasty at half time yesterday and was told they sold out before KO. 'This usually happens with bigger crowds' I was told. Yesterday was hardly a sell out!

The hot drink price hike also came as a surprise and generated a few negative comments. I thought Bournemouth's pricing a few weeks ago was a rip off so to see City follow suit is a shame.

I don't enjoy having this moan, particularly when in football terms this is easily the most enjoyable period i have known, but this thread is in tune with my feelings for some time now. Surely the catering team can do a better job than this!?

PeteUSA

Well I see from the list of 50 or more employees on the official site that the Catering Manager is Rose Clace. Try shooting an e-mail off to her via the club. She might be an exewebber, you never know.

I totally agree. I've said many times before, why is there this need to queue up and buy food irrespective of the quality, when you can have a square meal at home before leaving for the game, and then go home for your tea after the match in a proper manner? After just 45 minutes of football, why the sudden urge to go and pay to get something to eat, or buy a plastic container of tea thats on a par with gnats ****? I suppose it become tradition, part of the big day experience so to speak, because it appears most clubs do it. Bovril, balti pies, it must be a historical thing which I have to say I've never engaged in.
Pete, the answer is alcohol.

I don't eat just before the gameas I tend to be in the pub by 11-11:30. After a drink or few I tend to forget that the SJP food is carp and the need for meat takes over. The shame...:$

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well I see from the list of 50 or more employees on the official site that the Catering Manager is Rose Clace. Try shooting an e-mail off to her via the club. She might be an exewebber, you never know.
Rose deals with the Catering for hospitality, boxes and corporate bookings in the week. She is nothing to do with the food huts.

PeteUSA

Pete, the answer is alcohol.

I don't eat just before the gameas I tend to be in the pub by 11-11:30. After a drink or few I tend to forget that the SJP food is carp and the need for meat takes over. The shame...:$
A thorougly understandable explanation Bertie, although drinking from 11-11:30 until nearly kickoff time is quite a session! +o(

mammooman

Have to agree with Pete and Ant re this one.

It's only an hour and a half of footie, if you're that desperate for grub there are plently of catering stalls outside the ground, a chippy over the road, fast food outlets only 5 mins walk away, another chippy just over 10mins walk away, a newsagents nearby, pubs that serve grub (and no, pub grub isnt too expensive, you were about to pay £3.50 for a soggy reheated burger when a basket of chips is around £2 in the pub)

Or beating all that, stop off at Tesco on the way in, have something before the match, grab something on the way home etc etc.

I'm all for increasing revenue for the club, but the only way the food will improve is when people refuse/will not buy it.

PeteUSA

Rose deals with the Catering for hospitality, boxes and corporate bookings in the week. She is nothing to do with the food huts.
Fair enough Shaz, just trying to help. It appears then that nobody knows who's responsible for the grub etc. for the minion's?

Last edited:
Living near Dursley, Working in Cheltenham
i worked on 'catering' last year in the ground. Basically, the club were looking to oust the woman who was manager last season and was doing a fine job, i didn't go back this year as i've finished uni now so am unsure whether she has gone or not but that might be an explanation.

They targeted the area as a way of making some extra cash without ******* off too many people. Coffee and tea prices are up but the cups are substantially bigger and better, all for 30p.

The pizza is £4 but it is the same price as buying the same thing from dominos itself. They often sell out because there is one guy who has to bring all of the pizzas from dominos to all sections of the ground, he then runs back during the first half to get more for the second, he does as best as he can.

The pasties are good quality and are fresh. I wouldn't personally buy a burger or hot dog only because it isn't the best of meats, very processed and not the best quality.

Feel free to post any questions... i'll endeavour to answer although they'll be 5 months out of date.