• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City Youth 2014/15

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tillson played every minute at the start of the season when we kept losing and was rightly dropped.
Not fair or accurate. My recollection is very different, so in an idle moment I've looked up the stats.

He played two and a half league games (Pompey, 1/2 Argyle, Burton) and the Capital One cup game in August, and came on as a sub after JMT broke his foot at Coventry in the JPT in October.

In all those games he did OK. IIRC Pompey's goal came from a deflection; he was sacrificed along with Butterfield at half time v. Argyle when we were already 2-0 down having had both full backs run ragged but wasn't by any means the worst defender (right side free kick at near post, ball over the top for Reid to run onto); v. Burton I didn't go to that game so don't know if he was at fault for their goal but the stats show he was subbed just before the end to bring on another attacker. Bournemouth were too good in every position and scored from a Bennett OG and a Gosling tap-in.

If anyone was "rightly dropped" after those games it should IMO have been Bennett or Butterfield or both.

Saint James

Not fair or accurate. My recollection is very different, so in an idle moment I've looked up the stats.

He played two and a half league games (Pompey, 1/2 Argyle, Burton) and the Capital One cup game in August, and came on as a sub after JMT broke his foot at Coventry in the JPT in October.

In all those games he did OK. IIRC Pompey's goal came from a deflection; he was sacrificed along with Butterfield at half time v. Argyle when we were already 2-0 down having had both full backs run ragged but wasn't by any means the worst defender (right side free kick at near post, ball over the top for Reid to run onto); v. Burton I didn't go to that game so don't know if he was at fault for their goal but the stats show he was subbed just before the end to bring on another attacker. Bournemouth were too good in every position and scored from a Bennett OG and a Gosling tap-in.

If anyone was "rightly dropped" after those games it should IMO have been Bennett or Butterfield or both.
John, we all want players like Tillson to make it but the kid has no presence and physically would be battered - he got taken off at Argyle as Reid roasted him alive. He is just too small and is very lightweight and I have no idea why he retains a place on the bench when Tiz often has other defenders who will play before him. Even in the U21 game to me he looked like one of the weakest players on the pitch. I don't understand what value he brings to the squad.

Last edited:

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tilson - not sure what is happening with him
Riley-Lowe - first year professional, will be introduced gently in to first team games
Jay - first year pro. Needs game time, disappointed he didn't get longer at WSM.
Watkins - First year pro. Excellent player, should be good when he gets a regular first team spot (and used properly). His game time at WSM will being him a lot of good.
Byrne - academy player, so has not signed a professional deal yet.
Reid - long term injury has hampered progress. Let's see how he gets on at Torquay. Would be good to see him called up again by Northern Ireland U21s.

Don't think we have any more Matt Grimes's coming through, yet.
What about jason pope? A first year pro who's only first team experience was a sub at coventry in the jpt. I assume he's still here?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
John, we all want players like Tillson to make it but the kid has no presence and physically would be battered - he got taken off at Argyle as Reid roasted him alive. He is just too small and is very lightweight and I have no idea why he retains a place on the bench when Tiz often has other defenders who will play before him. Even in the U21 game to me he looked like one of the weakest players on the pitch. I don't understand what value he brings to the squad.
I'm not particularly supporting Jordan Tillson, who I agree probably won't come through to be L2 player,.

All I'm saying is that unlike others he hasn't been given the chance to prove himself - he has had 2 1/2 league games this season, and looked OK v. Pompey and at Coventry in the JPT - whereas other players who have been dreadful have been given extended runs. And if Tillson was give a torrid time by Reuben Reid away at Argyle, so deserved to be dropped, then the same should apply to Oakley, Bennett and (to a lesser extent) Butterfield.

And don't get me started on Harley...

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Lost 3-1 away to Peterborough on Saturday. Currently 10th out of 12 after 4 games.

Saint James

Lost 3-1 away to Peterborough on Saturday. Currently 10th out of 12 after 4 games.
Is it time for a reality check?

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is it time for a reality check?
About what?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
About how our first team should be filled with youth players? Perhaps this current crop just aren't good enough - not everyone coming through the system is going to be the next Matt Grimes.

Saint James

About what?
Pretty much how Ant summed it up. There is a danger that the continual messages about our youth system lead to a view that it is a panacea. My view shouldn't be misinterpreted as I fundamentally believe that a club like ours has to be reliant on our youth system for a sustainable future. However, the number of Matt Grimes's will potentially be few and far between. I believe that almost all players that do make it from the academy will be your 'dependable but average lower league' type player like Bennett and Sercombe. I don't think there is anything wrong with that but the reality check is that there are far better young players in other academies (shown by the results) and we shouldn't lose our objectivity.

Taz

To be fair to our youth it is not uncommon that the first team coach (aka Tis) will dictate how he wants the youth teams to play tactically (ie. defensive... on the break); and we all know how well the first team has done with the current tactic.

I'd imagine he's taken up that option now after being embarrassed by how good the u18's did in the Premier Cup last season... at least if all our team are failing that doesn't highlight the failings of the firsts...