• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

"Climate Change"

Juan Kossof

If there is MMGW two of the major contributory factors would have to be population growth and de-forestation. As they can't easily be taxed they'll be ignored (presumably).

greenawayr

And they've moved from drinking cheap lager to fancy c*cktails.
And according to certain advertising campaigns they quite enjoy the warmer climes.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
By the "US" I suppose you mean Obama's government and supporters. Another reason for being so sceptical..
No, I don't mean that. The climate change bill passed through Congress with some Republican support with many Democrats voting against. There's growing bipartisan support for energy change, having been convinced by their own scientists.

With an industrial heavyweight like the States even considering cutting output means it's a serious threat I'd have thought.

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
The recent change in attitude in the US, although it hasn't signed the Kyoto Protocol as far as I'm aware, can be explained through a varying number of different factors. Reliabilty on Opec countries could be one of those reasons.

I'm still very sceptical on the idea of man-made global warming for the simple reason is that there is no proven link and that much "theory" produced by scientists is based on just that: theory.

Theory will also show that even a doubling in the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere (current level 0.038%) will not result in a dramatic or life-threatening situation. We will adapt just as we have always done regarding shifts in climate.

urinal

I see also that the biggest challenge facing those who support the idea of anthropogenic climate change / global warming / let's change the name whenever it suits us, is that of convincing people that there is a problem at all.

I almost burst out laughing at David Milliband's concept of "invisible evidence". Just what the f*ck is that?

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
All in know is this rain is doing my head in.

brumgrecian

Mean global temperatures have decreased, and not increased, since 1998.
I am a sceptic, but the reason for the decrease in temperatures in the last decade is explained by the ecomentalists as a result of some huge volcanic eruption in 1998 (I may be wrong on the date) that had the effect of artificially increasing the global temperatures for that year. Therefore since then temperatures have decreased, but the trend still remains roughly the same in general.

I have no doubt the world is warming but am extremely dubious as to how significant our behaviour is in this trend.

mammooman

As a student of Environmental Studies and Geography I have witnessed both sides of the argument, read papers for and against it happening, been involved with taking measurements etc etc.

My personal view is that climate change is happening and you must be very unaware of the things around you or incredibly selfish if you cant see it. I do not think Climate change is the big issue here though, our climate has always been in a cycle, we can make efforts to preserve what we do have though. What I would like to see is a less dependence on oil and gas as a fuel (I don't just mean cars) and look to alternative. Oil is key in the production of petrolium and plastics, nothing else can make these products, yet we can make energy from other sources.

Why arn't there more renewable energy suppliers out there? Wind farms? (no, they do not make ANY noise - ive worked on one, and I do not think they are an eyesore, definatly beats a concrete power station,) devises to harness the waves? Solar panels? Some argue what they produce is small compared to the alternatives, maybe, but I can't see us running out of wind (or rain for that matter) anytime soon! One of the reasons that we keep getting told at Uni is that this has not been developed due to the fact the government want complete control, look at all the assets they've lost over the years, they would have the ability to completly control a percentage of the UKs energy supply.

Last edited:

urinal

My personal view is that climate change is happening and you must be very unaware of the things around you or incredibly selfish if you cant see it.
Sorry mate but I just can't see how someone can be considered "selfish" here. Why would you want to "preserve what we have"? Do you mean that the planet is perfect in its present state?

"Governments" do not want to control everything. This would be against the tenets of free trade. What do you mean by "governments"? Which "governments"? If they "control everything" they receive no tax revenue so it would really be defeating the objective if winds farms etc. were state run or regulated as the "government" would be losing money.

A couple of points that are being overlooked are the fact that we aren't creating more carbon dioxide, we're simply recycling what already exists and which is to be found in one form or another. Secondly, an increase in temperature would be beneficial to certain areas of the world.

urinal

I am a sceptic, but the reason for the decrease in temperatures in the last decade is explained by the ecomentalists as a result of some huge volcanic eruption in 1998 (I may be wrong on the date) that had the effect of artificially increasing the global temperatures for that year. Therefore since then temperatures have decreased, but the trend still remains roughly the same in general.

I have no doubt the world is warming but am extremely dubious as to how significant our behaviour is in this trend.
Volcanic eruptions render any effort to "reduce" carbon emissions completely useless.