• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2023

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Season number 39 for me, and my fourth in charge of Kempton 3s. Having had a bit of an unexpected windfall at the weekend I put some of it to good use in buying a new bat for the first time since 2006. That was the year I won the divisional batting award while at Old Is, and the previous new bat in 2001 also coincided with my first ton and a general runfest, so here's hoping that happens again.*

We start with a club day on April 15th, two inter-club matches followed by a quiz night. The 3s have a friendly on the 29th but I'll be otherwise engaged in Ipswich. I did wonder whether the league season would be delayed to accommodate the coronation, but no, we start on May 6th as planned.

*If the wet weather EVER stops, anyway.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Season number 39 for me, and my fourth in charge of Kempton 3s. Having had a bit of an unexpected windfall at the weekend I put some of it to good use in buying a new bat for the first time since 2006. That was the year I won the divisional batting award while at Old Is, and the previous new bat in 2001 also coincided with my first ton and a general runfest, so here's hoping that happens again.*

We start with a club day on April 15th, two inter-club matches followed by a quiz night. The 3s have a friendly on the 29th but I'll be otherwise engaged in Ipswich. I did wonder whether the league season would be delayed to accommodate the coronation, but no, we start on May 6th as planned.

Unless you started playing early, pipe and slippers incoming soon Jason ? ;)

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member

What did you get Jason?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you started playing early, pipe and slippers incoming soon Jason ? ;)
Although I was born in my mid-50s, I was actually 8 when I started playing. Will turn 46 the third weekend of the new league season.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What did you get Jason?
GM 606 (can't remember off hand the "name" though). Had a GM previously too, love the pick-up.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
A Gray-Nicolls man myself. I liked the 70s/80s Scoops.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
GM 606 (can't remember off hand the "name" though). Had a GM previously too, love the pick-up.
Next time you look at GM, give me a nudge first mate. 😉

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
A Gray-Nicolls man myself. I liked the 70s/80s Scoops.
Been some good retro ones around the last few years, but I’d be in serious trouble if I looked at all longingly at any Robertsbridge rubbish. It’d be like cheating on Miss Magda.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Still haven't put the new bat to work - our club day on April 15th was rained off and, after a nice dry week, of course it decided to rain persistently the Saturday just gone, with the result that at about 1:30 the Staines and Laleham skipper and I shook hands.

They must have their own micro-climate in East Molesey, as their 2s game with Dulwich was the only match played. A few teams lower down the spectrum must have facepalmed having conceded their games - although we suspected possible dirty tricks by our 4s' oppo, who called the game off due to "waterlogged pitch" on Friday despite there having been no rain all week.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Devon League more or less wiped out for first weekend a few games managed to complete but in the main very low scoring games

Another Soggy Start