• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, massive hypocrisy indeed. That said, no one was fully aware what was happening in early 2020. They are aware now. So it's in many ways an unfair stick to beat on anyone.

Also worth noting that hypocrisy is endemic across the board in politics.
It's what allows for the oft used and tired old parliamentary cliché - "I won't take lessons in (whatever) from the right honourable gentleman opposite ..."

Alistair20000

It's what allows for the oft used and tired old parliamentary cliché - "I won't take lessons in (whatever) from the right honourable gentleman opposite ..."
Aye the childish twaddle served up for so much of PMQ's and other Parliamentary proceedings. That said:

"A country gets the politicians it deserves" Discuss.

Mr Jinx

Excess deaths last year were up about 50k from where they should've been.

This puts the full lockdowns into even more perspective given the chickens now coming home to roost.

Were they worth it? Especially since we spunked nearly half a trill to get to this sorry point.

tavyred

Excess deaths last year were up about 50k from where they should've been.

This puts the full lockdowns into even more perspective given the chickens now coming home to roost.

Were they worth it? Especially since we spunked nearly half a trill to get to this sorry point.
A more pertinent question would be whether the lockdowns were avoidable. I’ve not heard a argument yet saying that they were.
The fact is the excess deaths we are seeing now can be blamed, just as the excess deaths were during the pandemic, squarely on COVID.
The negative effects of the pandemic didn’t end at the end of the lockdowns.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
A more pertinent question would be whether the lockdowns were avoidable. I’ve not heard a argument yet saying that they were.
The fact is the excess deaths we are seeing now can be blamed, just as the excess deaths were during the pandemic, squarely on COVID.
The negative effects of the pandemic didn’t end at the end of the lockdowns.
There's also the issue of low takeup of the flu vaccine, allegedly owing to vaccine fatigue.

Mr Jinx

There's also the issue of low takeup of the flu vaccine, allegedly owing to vaccine fatigue.
Perhaps people have now woken up to the fact that a vaccine doesn't stop you getting flu, nor does it stop you transmitting it on.

If you're in a vulnerable group, go ahead and get one. If you're not, don't bother.

DB9

If you're in a vulnerable group, go ahead and get one. If you're not, don't bother.
Hasn't that always been the way? As for Covid it's the same now, If you're vulnerable then take up the offer of a vaccine/booster jab, You're not compelled to and now we're in the "Living with Covid" cycle and tbh I don't think many outside of those vulnerable groups are getting seriously ill.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps people have now woken up to the fact that a vaccine doesn't stop you getting flu, nor does it stop you transmitting it on.

And lots of people in vulnerable groups aren't getting them.

Mr Jinx

Hasn't that always been the way?
Well yes, but I don't think many people realised that, whereas they do now. I used to get it every year as I mistakenly believed it would stop me getting the flu. I now won't begin getting them again until I reach 70.

Colesman Ballz

Well yes, but I don't think many people realised that, whereas they do now. I used to get it every year as I mistakenly believed it would stop me getting the flu. I now won't begin getting them again until I reach 70.
Always assuming that you don't perish from summat or other in the meantime ! 😎