• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2022

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It appears there will be no points deduction for Essex after an enquiry into recent events at Chelmsford.
Whiffs of there being one rule for Essex and another for everybody else ! :mad:

Alistair20000

Whiffs of there being one rule for Essex and another for everybody else ! :mad:
Is there a linky thing please ?

At face value, and if true, a disgraceful decision when compared with punishment meted out to other counties for poor pitches. I wasn't there so it is perhaps wrong to be too dogmatic but 40 wickets in just over 4 sessions ? Scores of 107, 131, 59 and 73 ? The Lancashire coach Glen Chapple was clear that the pitch was unfit for first class cricket and they won the game.

I feckin' detest Essex :mad: :mad:

Colesman Ballz

At face value, and if true, a disgraceful decision when compared with punishment meted out to other counties for poor pitches. I wasn't there so it is perhaps wrong to be too dogmatic but 40 wickets in just over 4 sessions ? Scores of 107, 131, 59 and 73 ? The Lancashire coach Glen Chapple was clear that the pitch was unfit for first class cricket and they won the game.

No linky thing, it was just my personal thoughts on the news that there was to be no action ! Whether the powers that be have been swayed by the association of "Cricketting Royalty" of the likes of Gooch and Cooke with Essex, is for us mere mortals only to have wild speculation about. :unsure:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
On the face of it that does appear to be an odd decision - I believe punishments meted out to Somerset in the past were based on accumulation, but could be wrong.

Anyway, the fact we're playing almost into October is potentially affecting our chances of clinching promotion - we're on top against Worcestershire but may run out of time if the weather doesn't improve.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster

Link as requested, Al. Got this via the Cidermen's fan forum. Point 16.11 on the Guardian blog.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the face of it that does appear to be an odd decision - I believe punishments meted out to Somerset in the past were based on accumulation, but could be wrong.
We'd had a warning or two! :) Still, Essex have form on bad pitches. A 25-point penalty in 1989 cost them the title.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We'd had a warning or two! :) Still, Essex have form on bad pitches. A 25-point penalty in 1989 cost them the title.
And in 2017 we were relegated due to our inability to bowl without faffing around between deliveries - 2 point deduction for slow over rate, relegated by 1 point. We screamed "UNFAIR!" especially as the deduction was applied following a ridiculous incident at The Oval*, but we can't say we weren't warned.

Man held over Oval crossbow bolt which ended cricket match - BBC News - the incident in question

However, our defence that we had no opportunity to rescue the over rate was daft - we were batting at 16:35 on the final day when it happened, we'd have had to declare then bowl about 30 overs in an hour.

Colesman Ballz

Somerset's season ending in a whimper at Canterbury. Now 84 for 7 and still needing another couple of hundred runs to avoid an innings defeat. :confused:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
At tea we're 392/6 needing 8 runs in 3.4 overs to secure maximum bonus points and be virtually unassailable in our quest for promotion.

Stephen Eskinazi, who couldn't bat yesterday due to the squits, has a ton while John Simpson brought up 1000 CC runs for the season in making 92.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
400 up and, barring an absolute disaster, we're up.