• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2022

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes fabulous, really looking forward to the final in a very optimistic mood, although current forecast has 100% chance of rain in Melbourne on the day!
Are you making the scene in person or TV Mr Posse ?

Avening Posse

Are you making the scene in person or TV Mr Posse ?
TV. Unfortunately other commitments would have made it tricky to attend, plus being Sydney based and not expecting them to make the final are factors too

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
England T20 World Champions!

Alistair20000

Just seen the news after coming out of the memorial service in Norhernhay Gardens.

Ben Stokes was scratching around when I switched the phone off but was just the man to be at the crease getting himself in before sensibly chasing down what looked a well below par score from Pakistan.

Excellent miserly bowling from Curran and Rashid to restrict the Pakistan total

Well done to Jos Buttler and the team. 👏👏👏👏👏

Rosencrantz

It was a tricky pitch to bat on with good bowling. There wasn't any swing but good movement off the pitch, spin and bounce. With a short straight boundary and long square boundaries suiting the lengths you would want to bowl. Curran was excellent with his lengths and Rashid took off the pace and gave it a rip getting the key wickets of Mohammed Rizwan and Babar Azam between them. Pakistan were under par but with their bowling line up, had something to bowl at on that pitch.

Even though we lost early wickets, Buttler made sure we were ahead of the rate against some hostile bowling. Scooping Naseem Shah for six after playing and missing the previous two spot on deliveries was typical Jos. It gave Stokes and Brook time to stick in against more impressive Pakistan bowling. Having stuck in the game, we needed to accelerate at the right time in order not to leave it too late and Moeen was the man along with Stokes to do it. Pakistan losing Shaheen Shah Afridi after two overs was a blow for them and Stokes took advantage of those five balls. Even with Shaheen though, I think England would still have won. Stokes was going nowhere and the deep batting line up would seen us home.

Never in 2015 would any of us have thought we would be the first team to hold both World Cups at the same time. What Eoin Morgan and Trevor Bayliss put in place was amazing and now after a bit of a scrappy start, Jos and Matthew Mott have continued. Just think that we won today with five likely starters out injured in Bairstow, Malan, Archer, Wood and Topley with Jason Roy also out due to form. The depth we have in white ball cricket is very good.

I think Ben Stokes now deserves not to have Carlos Brathwaite brought up every time England are in a clutch situation. He has proved himself to be the man to go to. Maybe even out-Bothaming Botham?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad to see that 80s Somerset player Jeremy Lloyds has died, aged 68.

wiveygrecian

Yes I used to watch him a lot in the 80’s at Somerset . Also was his postman for a while , lovely bloke

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
A pity Somerset lost Jeremy at a time when they had an ageing squad, and not many young players coming through. He did well at Gloucs afterwards.

Bridgy 81

I spoke with my brother about Jeremy passing as I recalled they’d worked together in the 70s in a Taunton bank.
Ironically it was a branch of Lloyds.
Also my Mum and Dad used to follow Taunton’s rugby team so me and my siblings had to tag along.
One of our jobs was to hang the heavy metal numbers on the scoreboard every time there was a try or successful conversion etc.
I remember Jeremy playing for the first XV there for a while, so he must have been a good all round sportsman.
Unfortunately I don’t recall if I ever recorded any of his rugby exploits on the scoreboard though.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Vic Marks pays tribute.