• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2023

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting question on the cricinfo site: "Which test captains had the greatest effect on their teams' fortunes ?"

On personal performance, maybe Gary Sobers, who was a bleddy nuisance in 1966 - or Allan Border, who propped up the Aussie team for years and got them winning.
You can take that two ways really can't you. Greatest material effect as in amount of runs and wickets, as described above, or biggest impact through Captaincy on results such as Mike Brierley, Stephen Fleming and, in the last year, Ben Stokes. There will be plenty of other candidates for both categories, I'm sure.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was out 6 of those ways
I reckon you avoided the Hit Wicket then ?
No, I was out hit wicket once. Annoyingly, I hit a nice four at the same time ! I don't recall ever being stumped though.

Bridgy 81

Anyone ever been the victim of a Mankad? (which presumably would be a run out dismissal).

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jack Leach out of the Ashes

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jack Leach out of the Ashes
Sad news. Stress fracture in his back.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Better news from Taunton, though. Cidermen defend 150 to beat Essex. (y)

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
6 Out Of 6 (y) (y)

sign of the chimes

Disappointed for Leach as much as I am for England; the guy must have broken several mirrors in his lifetime :(

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
A match that Essex ought to have won really on a beautiful afternoon at the County Ground.

Too many Somerset batsmen got out to poor shots and Will Smeed is really in need of a big innings now. Lammonby was good early with straight clean hitting and Dickson did a decent job a bit later. Kohler-Cadmore was looking threatening but fell to a superb caught and bowled from Harmer. The real match winning partnership in the end was 18 for the 9th wicket that enabled the Cidermen to post 150; well below par but at least something for the bowlers to defend.

Matt Henry bowled really well in the power play but Craig Overton was unusually expensive. Essex were guilty of poor game management as they kept losing wickets to daft shots when it was enough to push singles and twos and wait for a bad ball to punish.

Sergeant Pepper looked like he could win it on his own until a brain fart saw him nicking off.

The last 4 wickets went down for 9 runs including a comical run out from the last pair.

Six wins on the bounce but a smarter team would have seen the Cidermen off today.

Almost guaranteed to get a home QF now but more will be needed on Finals Day

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sergeant Pepper looked like he could win it on his own
Ah. I thought it might've been Sheriff G. W. Pepper from those James Bond films.