• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Derby County vs Exeter City Match-day Thread

DawlishBouy

A West Brom supporter's excellent vlog of the game:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watched on YouTube. Very good.

Andy_H

Watched on YouTube. Very good.
Certainly gave a different angle on Blackman's challenge that the TV gave and 'looked' as if JB was going for the kick before the Derby lad moved into shot!

Red Bill

Good to watch that, a much more balanced view of the game and showed that we did have chances but didn't make the most of them. A lot of people have described it as 'backs to the wall' stuff, to me that means desperate defending and throwing bodies in fromt of the ball in the box, but it really wasn't like that. They did have much more of the ball in the second half, but we actually defended it all quite comfortably I thought.
I could also see why from watching the Blackman incident on screen how if that's how you first saw it or you were sat in another part of the ground, you might think Blackman had fouled their player, but from where we were which was similar to this camera angle but higher up, you could clearly see that Blackman got the ball. He was alway favourite to get there first and did. Their payer then clattered into him having arrived late and went down hoping to get something from a very poor ref. If there was a foul there, it was by the Derby player.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Other sports like rugby, cricket and tennis are quick to clamp down on videos like this that show unlicensed footage. Therefore, it's quite refreshing that the EFL seem happy to let these videos stay online; I don't think they do any harm - they only increase interest and anybody keen enough to watch them is likely to already be contributing financially either via buying match tickets or iFollow passes.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
On several occasions last night he twisted himself out of a dangerously tight situation and followed it up with intelligent distribution.
There's no doubt he looks a million dollars when it comes off for him.

DawlishBouy

With the transfer window 2 months away I think you mean 5 million pounds.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly. Josh Key already looks at home in League One but what will determine whether he can really push on and play at a higher level is if he can produce more moments like he did last Saturday.

Colesman Ballz

Pounds please (especially with the exchange rate improving !). :cool:

grecIAN Harris

Last night was about as entertaining as a 0-0 with very little goal action gets, which as an opening statement doesn't sound to inspiring. However, it was very interesting to watch. The first ten minutes looked a bit like it might be a long night for City but we soon settled and grew into the game and got to grips with Derby's main threat which was a cross field ball from one inside channel to the opposite wing try to expose the space behind our wing backs but in the main we covered it pretty well. The only real threat it caused was when it got Mendez-Laing in the second half or when Josh Key went walkabouts and forgot he was playing centre half not wing back. I've yet to check but Pride Park looks a much bigger pitch than St James Park, probably due to the actual size of the ground and the amount of spare playing area between the edge of the pitch and the stands, so it will be interesting to see how that tactic works at a more visually and possibly physically smaller St James Park.
From a City point of view going forward I thought we just held on to the ball a fraction to long to expose the apparent additional space and didn't release Nombe and Stanno in particular for them to expose a not overly mobile back four. I thought Nombe won quite a lot in the air, especially the first half, but neither Stanno or Brown (who was again pretty quiet) were close enough to him to feed off of him.
The second half was more Derby than City and that ball I mentioned earlier was getting Mendez-Laing into the game more combined with a tiring Sparkes causing more of a problem in the first instance but Derby didn't really carry that much of a threat centrally to cause City too many problems. It was interesting to read after the game that those watching on i-player thought Blackman should have seen red for that challenge early in the first half. From where I was stood it appeared to me that Blackman had got there first, miscued his clearance and the Derby caught him in the tangle afterwards. It was also to see his save from Hoorihan's free kick after. It certainly looked a lot more spectacular in real time than on the TV highlights, good as it was anyway.
And then we get on the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde of Jake Caprice. During the first half, he grew with the side into the game and once he got started looked like he could do the Derby left back at will as and when he chose, second half he reverted back to the Caprice that usually frustrates the hell out of us all wanting too many touches, continually looking for a pass back ten yards (and quite often selling Key short) rather than doing what we all know he can and was doing in the first half.
A big shout, as we were doing all night, to the travelling support. I don't know how it came across on i-player/radio but it was hard to hear the Derby fans other than the small pauses between songs from the travelling masses. Unfortunately you didn't get to hear the gallows humour chant revolving around Jamal's recent antics as it was only heard in the pub we were in before the game. It went something along the lines of 'He smack who he wants. He smacks who waaants, etc,etc immeadiately followed by De ne ne ne ne De ne ne ne ne Blackman!!!! to the old Batman TV theme tune. Yes, yes, I know we shouldn't glorify violence but it was funny.
All told, it was good day out for City and a very good point.