• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do people think the NHS is worth saving?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes or no!!

You can raise arguments for saving and against saving if you like.

I am for saving

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of course it is, If the money it uses is spent wisely it would work. Would you like to live in a country where you had an illness that an insurance wouldn't cover or when you have an accident they first ask if you can pay? If the NHS was privatised do we honestly think our NI contributions would be abolished? Of coure they wouldn't, They'd find another excuse to tax the life out of us

tavyred

The NHS is well worth saving, although I think it was a mistake to ringfence the budget for it as no public service is beyond reform. Both Tories and Labour seem intent on privatising bits of the NHS, and IMO both run the risk of ****ing off the public if they go too far. Despite our system providing universal cradle to grave care it's still cheaper than the US' s ****ed up system that still leaves millions uncovered or under covered. It ain't perfect but it's still our finest post war achievement.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Definitely. It may have its problems but its a service that makes me proud to be British. Don't trust the Tories with it, though.

StroudGrecian

No. It's a pile of ****. Should be scrapped. If you can't afford medical insurance you just aren't worth saving.

And think how many more trident missiles we could buy.

Mid Devon Clown

Genuine question here, if you rock up at an American 'ER' with, say, a fence post through the buttocks - would they just send you home?

Surely the Hippocratic oath has some sway, and even an American doctor isn't going to watch you bleed out in a corridor because you aren't covered...

Avening Posse

Genuine question here, if you rock up at an American 'ER' with, say, a fence post through the buttocks - would they just send you home?

Surely the Hippocratic oath has some sway, and even an American doctor isn't going to watch you bleed out in a corridor because you aren't covered...
One for Pete USA I reckon, not that I'm suggesting he takes it up the arse, but he's been there a while and probably knows the ins and outs ?

motorservices

IIRC most USA people have insurance, now as for the NHS, some people go to the doctors every week some (like me) has been twice in 9 years, once when i cut my head open and the other when i needed pills to help me sleep and get through day to day **** (long time ago and very much water under the bridge now) my point is i pay each 1/4 some use it all the time others dont, maybe it should become a pay as you use system, that would at least stop the sick notes from draining the system dry

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Genuine question here, if you rock up at an American 'ER' with, say, a fence post through the buttocks - would they just send you home? ...
The answer to that is no. Whilst I'm no expert, I understand that there is a certain level of free treatment in the USA. However, if you don't have insurance, than that treatment is pretty rudimentary and a million miles away from the NHS - for all it's faults.
In answer to the OP, I do think it's worth saving but I don't think we have the genuine political will to overhaul it. There are far too many vested interests.
That said, there is one thing that the British excel at. That is a mish mash of ideas cobbled together with a phlegmatic approach of end-users. So, in that sense, it might be worth exploring a system of insurance cover for the expensive items and an NHS which delivers the cheaper items expertly. And, obviously, a mass public hanging of excessive managers and accountants.

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Of course it is, it's our NHS we pay for it! It should not be sold off to the Tory rich donors, to make them even richer, feck me ain't a few million in the bank enough!!?

and nobody on here would be able to afford private hospital fees!! And remember no insurance company covers A&E why? it's too expensive, so if you go to hospital unplanned, it wil cost you Tens of thousands FACT!!

There are plenty of marches planned to demonstrate, look them up on the web, and get of your collective arses there, and show the 1% you'll stand up to them!