• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Dry January

mustangspeed2006

Anyone giving Dry January a go this year?

After catching the flu just before Christmas, I didn't feel like drinking over the festive period and decided to extend my abstinence into January. The last time I did Dry January was six years ago (as part of three-and-a-half months of no drinking before a half marathon) and felt much the better for it.

Day 8 and so far, so good. I've had the urge for a beer several times in the past week, especially after busy days at work, but have held firm thus far. Non-alcoholic beer can provide a decent placebo effect and doing sport helps to deal with everyday stress.

Bridgy 81

I worked a few hours early on Christmas and Boxing Day mornings so having a drink then wasn’t an option.
My wife and I both decided to give Dry January a go and after drinking on the few days after Christmas we actually decided to start our alcohol break on New Years Eve!
So, we’re up to Day 9 now I suppose and it’s all good for us too.
Personally speaking I intend to use this month to have a bit of a reset and then see how I feel in February about having a drink and how much and how often.
Good luck.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I love a binge, but I'm laden with young children that wake up really early. As an old dad I can't cope with the hangover if I wake up early so I regularly go months without boozing. Went nine months booze free by accident in 2019/20.

Alistair20000

I’m out.

iscalad

I hardly drink, so this will pass me by.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
I got wet shopping this morning - so my dry January is already out the window :)

Mr Jinx

I do it every year. I find the first week is the worst and very difficult, but it's a breeze after that.

I feel I have to do it otherwise I'd have to admit I'm an alcoholic.

Oldsmobile-88

I only have a couple of pints pre match when the Grecians are at home, with just two home fixtures in January, a dry one would make little difference to me.

Average Joe

Lasted until Friday the 6th, I gave it my best go :)

Grecian2K

It certainly wasn't "dry" last evening.

Too wet even to take the hound out for her usual nightly stroll to the pub!