• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC - action from the archives

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seemed strange that the coverage at mine head and Plymouth didn't include the goals.
Probably missed them..The whole game was not recorded(on film in those days) by regional broadcasters.Many a time in the 1970's watching the football coverage on Westward Diary on a Monday you would just see the ball nestling in the net.

A short excerpt of a game would be shown on the local early evening news.A can of film was rushed by a motor cyclist courier to Derrys Cross,Plymouth to be edited.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Does the local tv stations hold any old footage, or was it all wiped? I know the leatherhead game was on the 81 video, I saw a video linked to exeweb some time back of a home game in the seventies v Halifax and had heard rumour of footage existing from our 76 promotion season. Would be great to know what exists in various places.

I had tried to find action from our appearance at charlton on match of the day(or big match) in 1980 and wonder if anything exists from the league cup games against Liverpool in the eighties or any other cup matches against bigger sides like Everton, villa, wolves etc.

If various bits of old footage could be brought together it could make a cracking did but I guess the rights issues may make it a minefield to put together.

Oldsmobile-88

Does the local tv stations hold any old footage, or was it all wiped? I know the leatherhead game was on the 81 video, I saw a video linked to exeweb some time back of a home game in the seventies v Halifax and had heard rumour of footage existing from our 76 promotion season. Would be great to know what exists in various places.
Tim Long throught the supporters club produced a DVD of a few games from the 76/77 season.Games against Southport,Colchester,Halifax,Aldershot plus the game at Newport were all featured..I remember Tim saying it was a ball breaking/time consuming exercise..Some sort of issue with editing old film onto digital format, economically.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Is this available anywhere on dvd format?

I have the video of the 81 cup run. Would like to get this on dvd but when I looked into it , it was very expensive to get it converted.

Oldsmobile-88

Is this available anywhere on dvd format?

I have the video of the 81 cup run. Would like to get this on dvd but when I looked into it , it was very expensive to get it converted.
Give Tim a PM...He may have one knocking around..

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Mark, are there any plans to put the early TSW football material into the archive ?

Loved the Minehead footage.I think i spotted myself as a 16 year old behind the goal..Oh the sartorial disgrace in those days..:D